Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-18-2014, 10:23 PM

Default Can't hear track I'm recording on but can hear all others

I know this is probably a problem solved with one click somewhere, but no one has posted a solution in my searches yet, and others have had the same problem. Saving click Default in the Setup or turn up the Mix was the best offers, and they don't work.

Using MBox Pro and Pro Tools 11, on playback, I can hear the previously recorded tracks, but cannot hear the track I'm recording on. Once recorded, I hear that track's playback fine. Just not when I'm recording.

I've pulled out all the hair I can spare. If anyone's in NYC (UWS) I'd pay to get them here to fix it.

Dusty
Old 03-18-2014, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Can't hear track I'm recording on but can hear all others

Saw this recently, and finally solved it by trashing all Pro Tools preferences and restarting everything. Search for, download and install the Pro Tools preference trashing app. Quit PT, Trash Prefs, empty trash, restart PT.

Check out this thread for the helper app
Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 PM

I searched the net and found someone had the problem in Cubase. They have a setting to "Enable Simultaneous Record/Playback".

That's my problem exactly. There must be a setting for that in Pro Tools 11, no?

Trashing preferences may be the best plan. I did default all my Settings in Setup.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 AM

It's your Record Input Monitoring mode setting.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 AM

Durstlaw. I may be butting in here,(I'm on Pro tools 9), but I couldn't help it when I read your post. I've had the exact same problem since changing my Interface to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I've been told that I'm not selecting the proper mode under "Track, Input only monitoring" or "Auto input monitoring" but neither seems to work! I've managed to work around this issue and it appears that those who tried to help me here on the duck seem to feel that it's not really necessary to here the previously recorded track when overdubbing as long as you can here the other tracks! I think musicians have a different view point on this.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Durstlaw. I may be butting in here,(I'm on Pro tools 9), but I couldn't help it when I read your post. I've had the exact same problem since changing my Interface to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I've been told that I'm not selecting the proper mode under "Track, Input only monitoring" or "Auto input monitoring" but neither seems to work! I've managed to work around this issue and it appears that those who tried to help me here on the duck seem to feel that it's not really necessary to here the previously recorded track when overdubbing as long as you can here the other tracks! I think musicians have a different view point on this.
Not so much a point of view it's about understanding how the two modes work.
The two modes work totally different so if you didn't see a difference between the 2 something else is causing it.

Usually the culprits would be in your routing, use of effects or trying to use LLM.
AVID further complicated things by adding the Control Console to the mBox line which gives you separate mixer control for hardware and software monitoring.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 AM

Sounds like you input monitoring is incorrectly set. Use opt-k (on a Mac) to toggle this setting.

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 AM

I want to first thank everyone for trying to help. First, I've toggled the Input Monitoring setting countless times and it makes no difference.

It is essential of course to be able to hear what you are playing through the headphones, along with the playback.

I know its some settiing somewhere but I have gone over every possible setting I can find a thousand times. I've been wrestling with this problem for two weeks now.

Any brainstorming on this you can muster is certainly appreciated. Thanks so much for trying.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:52 AM

I still say your problem is in one of a few places;
-your routing
-LLM is enabled
-The Control Panel if it's an AVID mBox Pro

Any of these will cause your input monitoring to work correctly or make you see no difference when switching between the 2 modes.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM

I'm sure you're correct. I'm still looking through those settings. I'm still baffled though.

Dusty