Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2008, 01:29 PM

Default Re: MIDI Patch names don\'t load

Man! This is great information! It gave me a lot to look into. It also raised additional problems but I feel like we're getting somewhere. Let me try and go in the order you did and I'll tell you what I have and don't have. In the menu>midi>input devices the only thing I find listed there is Network Session 1. No Fatar - no nuttin'. I already have midi thru checked in the options menu. I set up the two new tracks. I selected "All" - again, Fatar is not in there so I don't have that option. In the output selection I don't have MP in there, just Network Session 1. For grins I went ahead and drew in some notes. I get no sound but they do register on the edit window when I click on them. I feel like once I get the Fatar and MP to appear on PT then all this other stuff will fall into place. Do you know how I can get them on those input and output options? I also just thought of another question - in the MIDI setup window my configurations are set to "default". Is this correct?
Old 06-14-2008, 03:28 PM

The way to get the fatar and MP as in & out options is to have them setup in the AMS. I have never heard of "Network Session 1". Maybe someone wiser can explain that. If you're talking about the AMS midi setup window as 'default', you should really set it up as I described and give it a name. Then you'll get better results in PT. Read all the replies and steps so far (and the PT reference guide) and follow them. Then again, maybe something else is whacked out that we're not knowing. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty reluctant to trash anything. I don't really understand why I'm doing that and what the result would be.
Deleting the DAE and Pro Tools Preferences reinstates the Pro Tools Default Settings and when giving assistance, this makes sure to rule out any odd settings that might or might not be enabled. In other words, I know where your Pro Tools settings are at.

filosofem
Old 06-14-2008, 04:00 PM

As musicalavtech and Slim Shady have both advised, you need to delete any Audio MIDI Setup (AMS) configuration you have and create a new one. As previously advised, your 'hardware' configuration should be;

Fatar Studio 90 MIDI Out > Mbox 2 MIDI In

Mbox 2 MIDI Out > Kurzweil Micro Piano MIDI In

Does AMS mirror this?

Your Audio routing is;

Kurzweil Micro Piano Audio Out > Mbox 2 Line Level (TRS) In

filosofem
Old 06-15-2008, 08:02 PM

I've done everything suggested here and the MIDI devices still don't show up anywhere. I have them arranged in the Audio MIDI Setup the correct way and I have the actual cable connections set up the way the virtual connections are in the computer. In the configuration window, instead of "default" I named it Kurzweil Micro Piano. It still doesn't work. I believe that the Audio MIDI Setup Window is probably at the heart of my problem. I don't think it's ever setting me up the way it's supposed to. I just don't know what is wrong with it.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Okay, try this, disconnect all devices, then connect the Fatar Studio 90 MIDI Out to the Mbox 2 MIDI In. Make this same connection in AMS.

Open Pro Tools, create a new session, create a stereo Instrument track and instantiate Xpand!, record arm and press a key on the controller, what happens?

filosofem
Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 AM

Nothing. I'm looking at my connection now- straight out of the Fatar>Mbox 2. I've titled the AMS configuration Fatar Studio 90 and placed the connections to show just the Mbox 2 and the Fatar (out of the Fatar>in the Mbox 2). I opened a brand new session titled Fatar Test with an instrument track, loaded it with XPand! and armed it to record. Not only do I not get a sound when I hit keys on the Fatar, I also don't get any register in the mix window on the level indicators. Weird ain't it?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:08 AM

And midi thru is checked? Does the MP make sound when plugged in straight from the fatar output, bypassing the mbox? Double check.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Avid

Quote:
Nothing. I'm looking at my connection now- straight out of the Fatar>Mbox 2. I've titled the AMS configuration Fatar Studio 90 and placed the connections to show just the Mbox 2 and the Fatar (out of the Fatar>in the Mbox 2). I opened a brand new session titled Fatar Test with an instrument track, loaded it with XPand! and armed it to record. Not only do I not get a sound when I hit keys on the Fatar, I also don't get any register in the mix window on the level indicators. Weird ain't it?
Have you trashed the files as instructed in my first post?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 AM

Yes. I did it back when I received your directions and I think, another time after that. Should I do that again?

edit- Did it again. No change.