How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Avid

Default Re: MIDI Patch names don\'t load

This is really strange - you're absolutely sure you did my first suggestion with trashing the MIDI preferences files? Usually that will completely reset AMS.

If you have definitely done that, you should try creating a new AMS configuration. If that's already been suggested (sorry, I'm a little short on time and can't review the entire thread at the moment) and you've tried it, this may be an issue with OS MIDI services in your current account.

I would suggest creating a new Admin account in your Accounts System Preferences panel, then restart, log in to the new account and try everything again (setup AMS, launch Pro Tools, etc.).
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
this may be an issue with OS MIDI services in your current account. I would suggest creating a new Admin account in your Accounts System Preferences panel, then restart, log in to the new account and try everything again (setup AMS, launch Pro Tools, etc.).
What he said!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:07 PM

Well I tried the new Admin. and there was no difference. I noticed something though. Just like in my earlier attempts to set up AMS - when I open AMS the very first time there is no icon for the Mbox 2. I click on rescan MIDI and nothing happens. I have to unplug my computer cord from the back of the Mbox and plug it back in to get the Mbox 2 icon to show up.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM

If you have another USB socket available, it might be worth your while completely reinstalling Pro Tools and using that spare socket. I've had similar problems with an iLok dongle not being read and using another socket fixes the issue.

filosofem
Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 AM

Okay. I do have others I can try. And I've been thinking about re-installing Pro Tools. Do I need to un-install it first or does the new installation take care of that?

Well Filosofem finally had the answer! Up until now I had connected my Mbox thru a Belkin USB adapter that increases the number of USB connections you have available. Since I bought the thing my stepdaughter discovered that our Macs have two additional ones on each end of the keyboard. I moved my Mbox 2 from the Belkin to the one of the keyboard accesses and Ta-daaaa! My Fatar shows up and my Kurzweil shows up. The Fatar is able to play my BFD Lite, Xpand! and all of that. Now I can move on to new little problems like the audio shutting down the USB connection for some reason. I forget what the actual error message said but I'll get to that as soon as I have time.

Thanks Filosofem!!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Now I can move on to new little problems like the audio shutting down the USB connection for some reason.
Excellent! At least we're moving forward. Ummm... maybe, instead of connecting the Mbox 2 to the keyboard, I wonder if you'd be better off, connecting it to one of the back USB sockets and moving that USB Hub to the keyboard.

Also, if you encounter that error again, could you post exactly what it is, that's rather important.

Are you now able to Patch Select? And you have audio, you can hear the MP?

filosofem
Old 06-19-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Do I need to un-install it first or does the new installation take care of that?
Just to answer that question, yes, un-installing first would be standard practice.

filosofem
Old 06-19-2008, 07:37 PM

I can hear the MP and Xpand! and BFD Lite. No, I still can't load Patch files. I'll post the error message tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Well Filosofem finally had the answer!

Thanks Filosofem!!
Filo does tend to save the day. Good job!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:04 PM

I'm not taking the credit for that, it's a team effort and besides we're still not out of the woods.

filosofem