Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-06-2006, 05:39 PM

Default plug-ins help

I am new to prolools and message boards in general so forgive the errors.
I bought an mbox2 a few months ago and am having a great time recording some music.
My problem is in using the plug-ins. Any suggestions on how I should get started using them.
I've read some of the material in the guide manuals. I have been experimenting with them.
Is there anything out there (books, video etc.) for a beginner like me.
I am in the latin music field and will be recording horns (trumpets and trombones mostley)
along with latin percussion (conga,timbales and bongos) along with bass, piano and vocals.
Any advice would be great

Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 09:04 PM

Default Re: plug-ins help

plug ins are great.... when used accordingly. I hate to say this, but you just have to learn from experience. And that takes time. There are books out there that will help you.
My suggestion for beginners in general is to first understand your audio that you recorded... before you mess with plug ins. Once that is accomplished, understand what each plug in does. Any EQ plug in would be a great way to start out. You can hear what you are doing very easily and it could help you shape the tone of each instrument. Maybe a little reverb would warm up your mix. Compression is a widely used type of plug in as well.
I know this isnt what you want to hear, but you have to just learn by trial and error. Dont be afraid, there is an undo function for pro tools and it definitely comes in handy.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:27 PM

Thanks for your reply
I've started playing with the EQ and Dverb but i have no idea what
Limitter, DeEsser, Expander or Gate are. I'll be reading the plug-in manuel soon.

Thanks again
Old 01-07-2006, 07:52 AM

When I first started doing recordings, even now, I read the basic books. The home recordings for Dummies is a book I have personally. It gives a great overall understanding of what compression is, EQ, Reverb, Gates, delays, Limiters....etc.
Like I said before, trial and error and hands on experience is key.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:11 AM

HI,

oh happy day! Every time i can post this link I feel like Santa claus

http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

DIY rules

regs