Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools crashing every time I open a new session

Made sure all spotlight indexing was still off and still no luck.
Mac Pro Dual Quad Core 2.6
20GB RAM
Old 10-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Have you tried putting the files on an external hardrive and opening on another system? I don't like it myself but an update at this time may be a possible option.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM

Another system? No. I only have on pro tools system. I need to try the switching admins idea. Is that just switching admins on your computer? In LE, deleting preferences always worked with little problems like this, but I've yet to have them in HD.
20GB RAM
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Hey Ryan...

Try launching Pro Tools and holding down the SHIFT key when you launch it... This will disable all plugins and if your sessions works fine you know it is a plug in issue...

I have had issues with bad network cards spiking CPU and causing kernel panics that freeze PT and also have had issues when Im not selected on the correct hardware (When launching PT hold down N and your playback engine window pops up, select the hardware and click OK... Pro Tools will open with this default hardware settings)

If you still experience issues if you havent tried the old trusty wiping of preferences then try that ... and do it right by following this video or using a piece of software (you can search for it on google) http://pro-tools.wonderhowto.com/how...x-10-6-404137/

Then if that does not work you have some system issues.. try repairing disk permissions by going into Apps/Utilities/disk utility then select the main OSX disk and select "repair permissions" If this fixes it great! If not let me know and well continue.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM

Admin features could be tricky, if you have more than one people login to your computer or you are preventing changing certain files to different users that. If you still have not deleted preferences do so asap. http://www.jcdeshaies.com/
Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Hey Jason, thanks for the advice! I've repaired all the disks, and no luck with that. I will try running with no plugins tonight, but it's every session (probably about ten albums sitting on my drive), all with varying plugin arrangements. I've had bad plugins before, but it usually only affected the ones it was open on. Is that normally the case? I've heard about software that wipes the preferences for HD. Maybe I need to find some of that, as wiping them out manually isn't doing the job.
20GB RAM
Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 PM

It very well be that loading a plug in is doing it (meaning loading it as an available plug in) especially if its every session... that def rings to be a system/session wide issue... not just one session but ALL...

One other thing to try just out of curiosity and to see if it is a work around.... try making a new session and then open finder and locate one of the sessions you are having issues with... drag that .ptx file into your edit window... it will then ask what you want to import... Import everything and see if the issue goes away... If it does then save that as you new session and you will have to do this for each session (doesn't take long at all but when you're trying to work its a PITA)... but I still feel this is a system wide issue and not session based.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM

Gotcha. Definitely a system wide issue. I went through and deleted everything from the video on break and did it step by step to ensure I did everything correctly, and still no luck. So, it's definitely not the preferences.
20GB RAM
Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 PM

I'm also having a decent amount of playback errors. I can't disable all the plugins while I'm tracking these guys, though. So frustrating to have to restart the computer for every song.
20GB RAM
Old 10-11-2012, 04:02 PM

Thats what I thought... definitely sounds like a system wide issue.

Let me know when you can load PT holding Shift and just see if it works the way it should, shouldn't take long with the issues you are having to know if the plugs are causing it... If you import the session into a clean session and it doesnt work unfortunately the next steps get to be time consuming and you would need to not be working for an hour or so to go through and find the issue...