How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2014, 12:22 AM

Default Input latency with Autotune?

Guys,

this issue only happens sometimes.. I use an aux input for my mic in, where I usually place EQ, Comp & when needed autotune..

But in todays session which was pretty minimal and buffer down to 128.. It was causing an input lag.. Couldnt use it for the session..

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Input latency with Autotune?

No idea? someone said its most likely an issue with EVO.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:46 PM

Are you using Autotune while recording the vocal? If so, doesn't it affect the singer's ability to sing properly (unless you have a way of getting a dry headphone mix for him/her). I always use the graphical mode of Autotune, after all vocals are done, comped, etc. I found that the Auto mode makes false corrections sometimes, particularly if the singer slides at the end of a phrase.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Are you using Autotune while recording the vocal? If so, doesn't it affect the singer's ability to sing properly (unless you have a way of getting a dry headphone mix for him/her). I always use the graphical mode of Autotune, after all vocals are done, comped, etc. I found that the Auto mode makes false corrections sometimes, particularly if the singer slides at the end of a phrase.
I use to think the same but after working under a renowned engineer I learned the benefits of sticking a tiny bit of autotune on the input going in.. This guys name is on almost every top 20 in the past 20 years so he knows his [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] and Ive seen why..

It saves times and hassle later one.. But I wonder if the problem maybe EVO.. I need to go back to 5 ..

As for false corrections it does if your pushing to much on the auto mode.. Its need to be quite subtle and just gently pushing the notes into key..
Old 09-26-2014, 03:36 PM

Autotune used to have several thousand samples of latency in older versions. Not sure what that number is lately. Personally, while I have nothing against autotune, I would never record thru it, no matter who does, at least not until I REALLY knew the singer and how they would cope with it. Its so easy to add it after tracking, I just don't see the logic in tracking with it(but you may have different needs than me). Anything over about 64 samples of latency on a track, will usually annoy performers(my experience, anyway).

Granted, an HDX system has less inherent latency, so 64 or 128 samples caused by a plugin, might be less noticeable than it is on my HDN system

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2014, 04:04 PM

I'm with Albee on this one. I see no advantage in tracking with Autotune, except maybe speed. But if it false corrects a performance, then you have to go back and re-take part of the vocal. Maybe that was the best performance of the session. At one time we had the hardware Autotune unit and were using it with a Roland VS1680. To avoid additional D/A and A/D conversions by patching it in after the fact, we tried it on live takes. I don't remember latency being an issue, but when the vocalist heard the pitch corrected vocal in his cans, he just stopped singing, couldn't handle it.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:11 PM

It seems to be common issue with EVO.. Back to 5 I go anyone got a license for sale?