Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-30-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Buying plug ins/software off ebay

I've been thinking of scooping up some new plug ins for my Mix Plus system. I'm running a G4 and the keyboard to computer connection is via USB Port. . .not the ABD. Thus, I can't connect the ABD dongle between the keyboard and the computer. Has anybody here run into that problem or heard about it?

What did you guys do to be able to load and/or run the software?

Thanks,
Rusty G.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Buying plug ins/software off ebay

What plug-ins are you buying that require an ADB dongle? Waves?

If that's the case, I'd be very hesitant to buy a waves dongle from somebody. You were able to upgrade from that version (I believe 2.8.1 was the last to use the dongle) to 3.0 that used challenge/response, but you didn't have to return the dongle to waves. The person you'd be buying it from may have upgraded and are illegally selling that dongle and you'd never be able to upgrade or update from that product.

Now that being said, when Macs went to usb instead of ADB, griffin made this so we could all keep working. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2003, 03:12 PM

I don´t think that Waves was/is against selling a version 2.8 package even it it was updated to 3.0 by the owner.
The package just won´t be updatable again by the buyer.

Peter
Old 11-30-2003, 08:34 PM

In most cases you don't even need to get the product from the seller. What you really want is for the seller to transfer ownership to you.
You need to ck with the manufacturer as to what is needed. Usually it's a form that can be filled out by both of you.and/or a product code number. Once done, you simply pay the manufacturer whatever it takes to upgrade the product to the current version.(or to a version that is compatible with your system) In the case of all digi sponsered stuff (digirack,focusrtie, ampfarm, etc) I believe the upgrades are free. You just need the magic word, download the current demo (demo's usually turn into real products with the proper codes) and you're off and running
Old 12-01-2003, 12:53 PM

g-port i think, griffin.