Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Logic Pro 7

Hello. It seems to me using a network to enhance DSP muscle only makes sense in situations where there is a network to begin with. I know that sounds fairly obvious but I don't know if people have quite made that connection. On systems where the DSP comes from a card you can have one host computer. So for a composer for example, one person, what is the use of being able to tap into a newtork, if there is no network there?

Logic has always been a tool for composers and people that need sequencing, etc. Very few of the people that have those systems are on a network. The only application where a network is a must is something like edit bays for post production or the like. A place where Logic is hardly ever used.

So while I definitely think this is great, I also think that for most of the people that use Logic, being able to tap into a newtork will not be much help or hindrance. Sort of a non issue.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:34 AM

Unless they started time stamping files like Nuendo, DP, and others, it's still worthless to me.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:40 AM

Quote:
It's available to buy (including upgrades) on the Apple store now but it's estimated arrival is for the end of Oct.
Did you actually see the upgrades on the Apple Store? I know they said it was available there but I looked around and all I see is the full versions of each.

-Nevermind...The link didn't work before and now it works...
Old 09-29-2004, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Hello. It seems to me using a network to enhance DSP muscle only makes sense in situations where there is a network to begin with. I know that sounds fairly obvious but I don't know if people have quite made that connection. On systems where the DSP comes from a card you can have one host computer. So for a composer for example, one person, what is the use of being able to tap into a newtork, if there is no network there?

Logic has always been a tool for composers and people that need sequencing, etc. Very few of the people that have those systems are on a network. The only application where a network is a must is something like edit bays for post production or the like. A place where Logic is hardly ever used.

So while I definitely think this is great, I also think that for most of the people that use Logic, being able to tap into a newtork will not be much help or hindrance. Sort of a non issue.
i believe a new G5 costs less than an Accel card, and i think that's the point.
VSL
Old 09-29-2004, 10:12 AM

What's up Froyo....I know you didn't expect me not to pop up on this thread...(just messing with you)....And just think last week this was under "The Rumours of Logic 7" Thread...
But this is addressed to everyone....I have been on record as advocating and wishing for this kind of system...I must confess I don't understand how somebody could not see this as not having a Huge impact on not only Logic Users (maybe I'm just not technologically advanced enough) ....but the whole Digital Audio World...
But Even I am waiting to see how it is going to perform...but the fact that for me not to have to intergrate into another DSP application to get power...with all the bugs ...etc. is a major boom ...Sound Quality I believe will be determined by the kind of drives you write and save to...your interfaces your AD/DA convertors...and how you handle your front and back end recording and mastering....I think this may very well be a "Defining" day in Digital Audio....but we will see in the next months But at least we do Have a new name to use "Intergrated Audio"...IA...and I personally hope that it in some way it benefits all of us whatever our personal preferences may be.....

Thothprod
Old 09-29-2004, 10:25 AM

By ricey
Quote:
i believe a new G5 costs less than an Accel card, and i think that's the point.
Hello. How much are the TDM cards these days? I don't recall. I know G5's are hovering between $2200 to $3200 or so right? My point is that while with a TDM system you can confine yourself to one computer with many cards, with this idea you would have to have many G5's.

So again for the users that don't have networks, is it practical to get say 3 or 4 extra G5's just to use as extra DSP? Where would they put them? For a composer sitting in a one room facility, or even at home, how attractive is it going to be for them to get all the extra G5's and network them together. Setting up a network in itself maybe something individuals may not want to mess with in the first place.

In my opinion I just don't think many people in that situation will go for this. We will have to see. But it's great for the people already on a network though.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:40 AM

I don't believe it's about DSP anymore, either with TDM or Logic you can now get as much DSP as you want with enough money spent. It's more about the quality of the plugs available. Would you be happy to mix only using native plugs? Some people do, I couldn't yet, but the day is another step closer with the new stuff in Logic 7.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:48 AM

[quote
So again for the users that don't have networks, is it practical to get say 3 or 4 extra G5's just to use as extra DSP? Where would they put them? For a composer sitting in a one room facility, or even at home, how attractive is it going to be for them to get all the extra G5's and network them together. Setting up a network in itself maybe something individuals may not want to mess with in the first place.

[/QUOTE]

i hear you- one box is a lot nicer than four. although a bunch of G5s next to each other would look kind of cool... i have the earlier air-cooled one, so i don't know how quiet the liquid-cooled ones are, that's a big consideration.

but as far as a network being some big deal- really, we're just talking about a couple of foot-long ethernet cables and that's it.
and the 'node' computers could be just that- no monitors or anything, just towers. installing Accel cards is a pretty quick and painless operation, but this would be even faster!
VSL
Old 09-29-2004, 10:55 AM

A small rack
http://img36.exs.cx/img36/5165/logic.jpg

... Logic 7 works with X Serve G5 ( Dual G5 in 1U rack space ) as many as you want ! 2 30" Apple monitors with a rack of 10 X Serve G5's and a choice of your favorite Apogee . Simple and sweet . only 10 rack spaces ..... less space than a G5 with an expantion cassis .

P.S. each one of these can have 8 GIG of ram ..
Old 09-29-2004, 11:00 AM

Did ya'll see this line in the Logic 7 press release:

"Waveburner software creates CD masters in Redbook audio format."

I couldn't find any more than that one line in any of the documentation.

Is this really the long-awaited OSX version of Waveburner??

Jeff D.