Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2020, 05:47 PM

Default Recording drums to different tracks

I wanted to record my cymbals on a different track so I duplicated the drum track, fiddled with the channel in XPand!2 to set the cymbals to Channel 2, set my input for my second track to channel 2 and did a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. What I do remember is that it didn't work. So is there a way to do that? Can someone please explain the exact steps I would need to follow (or just point me to an article or video that shows how).

Also, so let's say that I record C0 on track one (a kick drum). If I change the programming of XPand!2 to play a different instrument on a different track won't that mess up my drums? It seems like there's just one instance of XPand!2 and changing that changes the sounds everywhere. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Recording drums to different tracks

A couple things to check and try.

Make sure you’re working on the Xpand instrument that is in the new track. When you duplicate a track the way you described, with Xpand open, that first instance of Xpand will be open, not the Xpand from the new track.

A bug I came across in older versions of PT acted as you described, like there was one one Xpand when ther should have been two. The workaround for this is to not duplicate the track with Xpand, but create a new instrument track and insert, not copy, a new Xpand in the new track.

You should be able to have several instances of Xpand in PT that play all kinds of different patches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-23-2020, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Recording drums to different tracks

Indeed^^^, make sure you are looking at the correct instance of Xpand if you have more than one. I would be tempted to just put up a few INSTRUMENT tracks with Xpand on each. Then, decide what sounds you want separated and call up the appropriate sound for each instance of the plugin. Then record each part(track) to play the desired drum sounds.

Its going to be a bit clumsy until you get it all sorted out, and I'm sure there's several ways to achieve what you want. Once you do get things working, Save it as a Track Preset(which can be several tracks), or save it as a Session Template, so you can start new sessions with all the assignments in place(but don't include "media" which refers to the audio and midi in the session already).

If you get to a point where you can spend a bit more, EZDrummer2 and Addictive Drums 2 are both reasonably priced($149 each at sweetwater) and are designed to do this much better. You can use a single plugin, but route every sound out to its own track so you can mix as if you recorded the drums with individual mics Maybe watch some demo videos on those 2 products and see how much easier they will be

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave