Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2020, 07:21 PM

Default Cloud Project Upload Speeds

I'm currently uploading a Project to the Avid Cloud at 0.2 Mbps, even though I can upload to other services such as WeTransfer at 30 Mbps (I did a test just now as I was typing this message).

Any ideas on what might be wrong?
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr

Last edited by chrismeraz; 06-15-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Cloud Project Upload Speeds

Avid is behind the times with the tech for transfers. Cloud has never worked well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2020, 08:47 PM

Very interesting decision trusting Avid cloud with your work.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:38 AM

Darryl, this isn't for backup (that would be daft). It's for collaboration. If it works, the workflow is much easier than constantly sending files and sessions back and forth.

Has this worked well for anyone?
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 06-15-2020, 06:43 AM

Darryl, this isn't for backup (that would be daft). It's for collaboration. If it works, the workflow is much easier than constantly sending files and sessions back and forth.

Is this working well for other folks?
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 06-15-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeraz View Post

Is this working well for other folks?
If you wanted to pick something that "is daft" my vote would be relying on flakey Avid Cloud Projects for collaboration.

There is nothing wrong with making archive copies to a cloud storage provider. But yes don't do that as a flakey cloud project, just drag and drop a session or zip file of a session etc to the cloud... and check the copy completes. Many people do that. It is a useful way of getting assets protected off computer and off site. And makes a lot of sense as part of an proper backup/archive/recovery plan which should rely on multiple copies kept in multiple places (often in multiple formats).

Maybe you should spend some time looking through DUC at all the complaints on cloud projects, many issues with Pro Tools First users having issues with trivial projects. And while DUC naturally collects people reporting issues, it still seems a mess. Avid just does not give me any confidence they have the skills to do this. With repeat similar problems requiring support intervention or users just giving up. I would want to hear about a *lot*of people successfully doing collaboration before risking any work in it. You might want to ask how many users are using cloud collaboration in a new thread with a title that matches? That might help turn up more users.

And since you raised backup... I hope you have offline backups of the work in your cloud project. But how exactly do you properly make and restore those and preserve the collaboration info? Does save as session do that? Or do you copy project cached files, and how do you restore them if you do? Surely this is obvious? Documented somewhere by Avid?
Old 06-15-2020, 12:23 PM

I've used cloud for collaboration. It doesn't work consistently. Too many issues. After a couple days we gave up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And since you raised backup... I hope you have offline backups of the work in your cloud project. But how exactly do you properly make and restore those and preserve the collaboration info? Does save as session do that?
Save Copy In... > Session

That will preserve all the collaboration data by converting the Cloud Project to a local Session, and then I would delete the old session on my hard drive after that.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 06-17-2020, 05:27 AM

Upload and download seems to work just fine after I upgraded to PT 2020.5.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr