Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2014, 04:29 AM

Default Audio interface incompatibility

Hi,

I have been using PT11 with an Eleven rack as the interface with no problems. I then bought a new USB interface (Behringer FCA1610) installed it, defaulted the IO etc but then the sound was crackly, particularly in the lower frequencies (when tested with triggering drums in Addictive Drums 2). tried altering sample rates, buffer sizes etc but no difference. I plug the Elven Rack back in perfect!.

Mmmm, the interface must be faulty so I returned it and ordered a M-Audio Eight. Cut a long story short, same thing crackles on playback, plug eleven rack back in fine (did all the adjustments).

Any ideas what might be the reason with these 3rd party interfaces please?

thanks

Dave
Old 11-23-2014, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Audio interface incompatibility

Hi, actually I don´t know what it could be at the moment but I´ve found a trouble shoot section
on the M-Audio site which you could try out.

The M-Audio Eight works in class compliant mode so there actually should be no driver issues.

http://m-audio.com/kb/article/1619
(you find a test for the unit when you scroll down)

Finally make sure you have uninstalled all the Behringer drivers n stuff correctly because sometimes
a non-working driver can mess up the whole system.
You also may try to uninstall the Eleven Rack drivers if you can´t get the Eight to work properly at all...
Which Mac OS system are you using btw?

So hopefully you can solve it finally, the best of success,

VRW

P.S. additionally double check the sample rate settings on both, the interface (M-Audio Eight)
and Pro Tools. Sometimes a different setting on one of those makes those unwanted noises too.
And of course the puffer latency but I think you may have done this anyway.

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.10.1 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2, Genelec Active,
Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.2.1, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, Softube, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 AM

1st, I'm not running PT - but used many interfaces usb, fw and internal cards.

Some usb interfaces claim 24/96 - so that is my 1st question which settings you use?
What latency buffers etc.

When it comes to 24/96 I would not trust that over usb at all with as much as 8 ports - unless RME brand or something which are forefront in this technology. And often number of ins/outs are reduced to half using 96k - if to be serious about stable audio.

So ElevenRack maybe supplies just the number of inputs that actually can be handled.

So drivers are probably cause of this - not PT so much.

Also consider selecting another usb port. The different computers I've had was two main usb root hubs on motherboards - and then 2-4 usb ports on each root hub.

This can be seen in device settings of your OS, at least in Windows that I know some about.

If running many things over usb, I would choose audio on a single root hub and leave that free. Each root hub also specify which devices are connected to it - so that is one source of trouble to look at.

Hope there is some guidance for you...
Old 11-23-2014, 05:52 AM

The M-Track only runs class compliant on OSX, so it wouldnt be applicable if you're on Windows.

If you happen to be using USB3 ports, try connecting it to a USB2 port.

Can you post your full system specs?

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM