Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 AM

Default Good news here with PT9

I downloaded the full installer. I went out to buy an iLok, and of course the only ones available are the old/big/clunky/ugly ones. But I couldn't wait, so I got one. Uninstalled PT8 and installed 9. Installation was a breeze, unlike previous versions, keeping track of which drivers are installed and if you install them before or after the software.... dealing with all the "continue anyways" or "MAKE SURE THE AUDIO DEVICE ISN'T PLUGGED IN" followed immediately by "MAKE SURE YOU PLUG IN YOUR AUDIO DEVICE WITHIN 3 SECONDS OR YOU'RE SCREWED!"

I found my PT9 auth waiting to be downloaded to the iLok, plugged the iLok into my laptop docking station, and Pro Tools wouldn't start, it wouldn't find the iLok. Then I plugged the iLok directly into the laptop and it started up just fine. I guess it thinks my laptop docking station is a sort of USB hub, which I guess isn't supported.

I quickly checked out all the new features. ADC works beautifully. My first time working with it, I for some reason didn't understand that it'd work THIS nicely and easily. Everything was sample accurate, no phase issues, it was great. I also liked how the TimeAdjuster plugin is unaffected by ADC, which totally makes sense, but I didn't figure it was smart enough to forgo ADC for that plugin. Turns out it is.

Just for the hell of it I made 90 audio tracks, record enabled all and hit record. It was nice to see THAT many tracks. I went into my I/O and deleted most busses, leaving 1-32, as it was before. I RARELY use more than even 6 busses or so, so the old 32 is more than enough, but it's nice knowing I have a ton more if I ever need it.

Then, this is where the fun started. I tried breaking it. I TRIED to get it to crash. While I was playing back, i unplugged my iLok. nothing happened. I expected to playback to come to a jarring stop, saying the iLok is missing, and have it freeze up. Nah, it just kept playing. I closed and opened a new session. It played. SO this means I don't care about the bulkiness of the old iLok. I plug it in once while PT is booting up, let it find the authorization, then unplug it and put it back in my pocket. I wanted the new iLok so it'd be more streamlined jutting out the side of my laptop, but NO iLok is the ultimate streamlined.

Then I closed Pro Tools. Plugged my iLok back in, and unplugged my MBox. It started up no problems, finding ASIO4all, and then I was playing a session back through my laptop speakers. AMAZING. Unplugged the iLok. EVEN MORE amazing. I could run PT9 with absolutely NOTHING attached. Brilliant.

Then I continued to try to crash it. I closed. Plugged iLok and MBox back in. Restarted it. I noticed it was loading ASIO4all instead of my MBox. I thought that was strange.... "How the hell am I gonna get it to recognize my MBox instead?" I went to playback engine and found the little dropdown menu. Sure enough, MBox was there. I FIGURED I'd have to restart PT after I selected it, but NOPE! It just saved and closed the session all automatically, and I was back up and running the same session through my MBox within 10 seconds. That's amazing too. Shows that when PT9 was booting, it loaded the ASIO drivers AND the DAE drivers. It may be silly to some people, but being able to reference my mix that easily through my laptop speakers is actually pretty important to me.

I noticed that when I was using the MBox, if I had my wireless on, I couldn't get 10 seconds into playback without it stuttering and asking me to adjust the H/W Buffer settings. But when using ASIO, it ran super smoothly, no matter how much web surfing I was doing. I was streaming HD video AND playing back a dense session, and it was slick.

I continued to TRY to crash Pro Tools. I was playing a session, and put my laptop to sleep WHILE it was playing. Just to replicate a worst case scenario - disconnecting the MBox AND my external hard drive during playback. It asked me to plug it back in. I did, and hit OK. Then I got DAE -6001 errors. So I couldn't get back up and running without restarting Pro Tools, but AT LEAST it didn't crash and make me hard reboot like it used to.

Another problem I had with PT8 was that the bounce window would always freeze. After 1 second of count down, it'd freeze, and I wouldn't be able to ctrl-period to stop it, and I'd HAVE to listen to the whole bounce, even if there was something I wanted to fix within the first 5 seconds. And when you're bouncing a 9 minute song or god forbid a TV show or film, that's annoying as hell. But the countdown was working fine, I could cancel the bounce at any time. I tried to break it. I started a new bounce, it was counting down. I loaded my browser and started streaming HD video. Bounce continued on. But when I maximized Pro Tools, the bounce was frozen. I continued to bounce a 10 minute song, and at about the 7 minute mark, the H/W Buffer underflowed, and stopped the bounce. BUT AT LEAST IT DIDN'T CRASH. I swapped my playback engine from DAE to ASIO, and tried the bounce crash test again. Well, it didn't like that. Froze after the first 2 seconds, and I can't stop it. And then it froze completely and I had to end the task. But I ran into some "same old" issues here. The task wouldn't end. ProTools.exe*32 is still in my processes, and it will not load Pro Tools again unless you restart the computer.

I understand I'm putting a ton of stress on PT, trying to break it. I started light, and had no luck - PT is a strong, stable application. But eventually I threw a little too much at it and it crashed. I totally understand that it's not designed to bounce a 50-something track session while wirelessly streaming HD video, and it's not that I do that on a regular basis either (or at all), but it was just interesting to see how it'd react.

So, if they would add maybe a "Default interface" instead of whatever one was last used, I think that'd be better. That is, even if I used my onboard sound last time, IF my MBox is plugged in, automatically use that one as default. Also, if they could get rid of that -6001 error after losing communication with the interface, and if they could stabilize the bounce window to never freeze or crash, it'd be perfect. Make a bounce panic button of some sort. But the fact that PT8 would crash on me so much, freeze up, cause me to hard reboot, and I TRIED to freeze and crash PT9 and couldn't for the most part.... that's amazing to me. This stability ALONE, forget all the tracks and busses and ADC..... it was worth the upgrade fee.
SIIG FireWire Express Card
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE
Digi003 Rack || PreSonus D8 || ART MPA Gold || ART PRO VLA II || Ensoniq DP/2
M-Audio Axiom 49 || Behringer BCF2000
Yamaha HS50Ms

Bands: Captain Starr || stereoINs
Drums: 1 || 2 || 3
Guitars: 1 || 2 || 3
Old 11-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Good news here with PT9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pronto View Post
Just for the hell of it I made 90 audio tracks, record enabled all and hit record. It was nice to see THAT many tracks.
I thought you could only record 32 unless HD?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:30 AM

I/o is correct but you can still make it record more than the i/0 supports (I think). More a test that a practical use.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Then, this is where the fun started. I tried breaking it.
I like you, you've got an odd idea of what fun is!

Happy you too are having great results w/ 9 so far. Had an eight hour session yesterday w/o one hiccup. (I guess that's my idea of fun - experimenting with a new instal w/ clients in the room.)

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 11-07-2010, 08:33 AM

I did the install with just the updater, and again dead stable so far. Such a treat to be able to hook straight up to my RME. Gotta say though those new M-boxes look mighty cool for smaller setups
Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 AM

you've always been able to record as many tracks as you want at a time - i print VIs for complete arrangements all at once.

and you have always been able to unplug the ilok after PT has started without trouble. you just have to plug ilok back in whenever you restart it.

glad to hear it's running great though!

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 11-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
I think it's 32 real physical incoming channels...

If he made 90 tracks all with the same input, I don't see why it wouldn't let you do that. (as long as you got 32 or less inputs, different inputs, no doubles) But, you are rarely recording "doubles" of any inputs. However I think the OP was just trying to make it crash, and it's good to see it didn't.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
I only have 2 I/O in my MBox, but the inputs alternated from In 1 and In 2. So I was only using 2 I/O not 32, but I was using 90 INSTANCES of my 2 I/O.
SIIG FireWire Express Card
Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE
Digi003 Rack || PreSonus D8 || ART MPA Gold || ART PRO VLA II || Ensoniq DP/2
M-Audio Axiom 49 || Behringer BCF2000
Yamaha HS50Ms

Bands: Captain Starr || stereoINs
Drums: 1 || 2 || 3
Guitars: 1 || 2 || 3
Old 11-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I only have 2 I/O in my MBox, but the inputs alternated from In 1 and In 2. So I was only using 2 I/O not 32, but I was using 90 INSTANCES of my 2 I/O.
To record 32 inputs, you need an interface with 32 inputs. Look at the M-Audio Lightbridge with a bunch of lightpipe preamps(like the ProFire 2626). That would record 32 inputs at once.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Another problem I had with PT8 was that the bounce window would always freeze.
The bounce freeze was an easy fix. Disabling Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service or by following all the optimizations regarding display settings did the trick.