Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2003, 07:10 AM

Default Guitar Sounds

Can anyone tell me if they have any secrets to getting a big fat guitar sound in pro-tools. I have no outboard gear right now it's is coming soon. I just bought a pair of Royer R-122 Ribbon mics which seemed to help warm up my sound a bit, but distorted giutars especially sound to brittle. I'm looking for that big fat warm distorted guitar sound. For now I'm stuck with plug-ins. Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Guitar Sounds

this may sound incredibly elementary, but usually my experience is that if the amp sounds killer in the room it is usually easy to make the amp sound kick ass to tape.

Have you tried getting out in the room and really getting the amp right?

Also...wearing ear plugs...move your head around the cone of the amp and find a sweet spot. In 4x14 setups each cone tends to sound different...figure out which cone sounds best.

Also take the grill off the cabinet, and get the mic right in there....dont be afraid to take your mic and put it right on the cone...i wouldn`t do this with the 121`s though.

Also...have you tried sending the same signal to multiple amps and using multiple amps to create a final guitar sound?

I witnessed the recording of a very successful rock record this past summer...they used 6 amps and 6 cabinets!! There were about 15-20 mics setup, and they combined there favirote sounds to get the final amp sound.

Good guitar sounds, unfortunately, in my opinion don`t come cheap...sometimes they cost more to get than drum sounds.

You need good amps, good mics, and fat pres.

I personally think that Amp farm and similar plugins are not really going to do it for the real rock sounds./

hope some of words were helpful/
Old 07-05-2003, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Guitar Sounds

There are a couple of great threads here on the DUC

Search the DUC for

"Guitar tone in pro tools"

and

"Thick Guitars"

Andy Sneap and other very respected guitar tone gods have written in theses forums.

Great advice from all.

Keith