Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Default No Information Available

Can anyone explain why there are times when you go from one show file to another and the plug-in rack doesn't fully build (runs out of DSP - i.e Yellow exclamation marks) but if you load the show out of a full console reboot, the same show file loads completely? It would appear the D-Show sometimes has trouble unloading a plug-in rack and then reloading the new one with the new show file. Is this plug-in specific? i.e. some worse then others in clearing out their resources when they're done?

Connected to the same question, in the above situation where everything doesn't load fully, looking at the DSP allocation under Options->Devices shows numerous "No Information Available" descriptions on DSP slots (5+).

Why does the console do this? Has anyone else had similar experiences? For best practice, should we be rebooting the console completely between new events in the room rather than just loading a new show file? The show files we're talking about are nearly identical except for different plug-in racks, so the change to the new file happens really fast (no blue screen load as would happen if you were changing to a new console configuration or ProTools inputs) and then you wait for the plugs to build.

Thanks everybody!
www.cordernotes.com
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 AM

Default Re: No Information Available

I too had this happen.... good news though, its not the Venue system doing it, for some reason there are some plug ins that will not "release" (for lack of a better term) the DSP it has allocated to itself to operate in a show file. (Eventide Factory is one if them, and my culprit). I have taken to slightly changing the show files and system configuration I use every day. I am currently on a tour with a 4 band bill, we line check, then direct support , then support, then opener,then we run the show.... opener, support, direct support, headliner that is a minimum of 6 show file recalls per day. I added 8 Graphic EQ's to Opener's file, and 8 Graphic EQ's to direct support's file. By slightly altering the show files and system configuration, from the next one recalled it makes the DSP re-allocate itself as if a full blown re-start had occurred.

Most of the plug-ins that make this happen have fixed it through critical updates, (Like Eventide), but once on tour I do not change software on a console in any way.

Hope this helps.

Tig
Old 10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Avid

Default Re: No Information Available

Hi Tim,

As Tig mentions there are some plug-ins that have a known issue in which they hang on to DSP. I believe in all cases there are updates available to correct this. Make sure you download and install the latest plug-ins with critical updates. That should fix matters.

Sheldon