Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-03-2017, 08:32 AM

Default Dynamic Plug-in Processing

Why does this not work as I expect? I have some very CPU heavy plugs that I use from time to time. I would expect that if I have five tracks that I would be able to use the same plugin in its most intensive mode on all tracks if I listen to one track solo'd at a time but thats not how it works.

DMG equilibrium in FIR mode set to its longest impulse length works just fine on several tracks, but say I'm working on Track A and it is solo'd, if I start increasing the impulse length on other tracks that are muted because Track A is solo'd, at some point I'll start getting running out of CPU power.

I would think that messing with plugins on muted channels should have no effect on the CPU with Dynamic Plug-In Processing engaged.

What am I missing? Is this working correctly?

OSX 10.11
PT 12.8.1HD Native

Thanks,
j
Old 09-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Dynamic Plug-in Processing

Dynamic plug-in processing lightens the CPU load when clips aren't present on the timeline. It doesn't matter whether it's muted or not it's still being processed in the background.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:42 AM

Right. And if you have an EQ open and are tweaking, it is addressing an active version of the plug. probably whether it's playing audio or not.

Steve
Old 09-03-2019, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Dynamic Plug-in Processing Not Working -Pro Tools 2019.5

Hi I have my Template Session open with no audio clips but yet Pro Tools 2019.5 is consuming about 70% of my CPU and 57% of my RAM. I don't have any virtual instruments as I don't sequence in Pro Tools. This doesn't make any sense to me as I have Dynamic Plugin Processing checked. I'm also not playing. The session is stopped at bar 1. See the attached Screen Shot. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 12.52.19 PM.jpg (80.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manvince View Post
Hi I have my Template Session open with no audio clips but yet Pro Tools 2019.5 is consuming about 70% of my CPU and 57% of my RAM. I don't have any virtual instruments as I don't sequence in Pro Tools. This doesn't make any sense to me as I have Dynamic Plugin Processing checked. I'm also not playing. The session is stopped at bar 1. See the attached Screen Shot. Thanks
It is not as simple as “no audio clips”, Pro Tools plugins may still be processing audio, including when the transport is stopped. You likely have input monitoring paths etc. and there might still be plugins showing denormalization issues... if the CPU load increases when the transport stops.

But stop looking at meters. What actual problem with your actual sessions are you trying to solve? Exact AAE errors etc.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It is not as simple as “no audio clips”, Pro Tools plugins may still be processing audio, including when the transport is stopped. You likely have input monitoring paths etc. and there might still be plugins showing denormalization issues... if the CPU load increases when the transport stops.

But stop looking at meters. What actual problem with your actual sessions are you trying to solve? Exact AAE errors etc.
In addition I'd like to know what all those plugins are on the inserts and where the sends are going to.

QAPLA!
Old 09-04-2019, 12:35 PM

There is one more little "surprise" to this setting. It can take up to 8-10 seconds of playback before PT decides there is no audio to process and actually implement turning plugins off from processing blank clips. IOW, watch the usage meter and let playback run for 20 seconds. Its actually nowhere near is effective as we would all want and short empty clips won't actually give back anything

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave