Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Default Re: No future HD upgrades for CPTK special offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
we can hardly blame them at this point. They're almost bankrupt.
When a company has major releases like this one, and leaves a large number of users to interpret the tea leaves in regards to the future of their investment; it's no wonder they are almost bankrupt.

Is anyone else just blown away at the lack of specific details in regards to a release that determines the future of a product? Make no mistake, if PT11 is a flop, Avid will be forced to sell off Pro Tools, which I'm not sure would make me too sad at this point. The fact that they are moving PTHD back to a closed system dependent on their hardware reeks of desperation, and is beyond foolish considering the direction of the industry, and the direction of computing power.

It's truly amazing.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualsizeaudio View Post
When a company has major releases like this one, and leaves a large number of users to interpret the tea leaves in regards to the future of their investment; it's no wonder they are almost bankrupt.

Is anyone else just blown away at the lack of specific details in regards to a release that determines the future of a product? Make no mistake, if PT11 is a flop, Avid will be forced to sell off Pro Tools, which I'm not sure would make me too sad at this point. The fact that they are moving PTHD back to a closed system dependent on their hardware reeks of desperation, and is beyond foolish considering the direction of the industry, and the direction of computing power.

It's truly amazing.
If I understand it well, PTHD has been always Digi/Avid hardware dependent, the only thing is, if you have HD software license, you can use that with other hardware too. But theoretically, to get into PTHD you always had to buy hardware too. Now it's a one time opportunity to CPTK owners to get full HD software without any hardware purchase.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
If I understand it well, PTHD has been always Digi/Avid hardware dependent.
Except if you purchased a CPTK license, which I did, from a major retailer. Pro Tools 10, plus CPTK lists at $2600, and gave you all of the software features of the HD feature set. My other system is a PT10HD system that yes, is tied to my HD3 Accel system I bought in 2003 (those cards were put away last year).

Is Avid looking at those 2 investments, well over 10K worth, and saying: "OK he can always run HD, even if it is without our hardware since he bought in at one point". Or are they saying I'm only in for 11. That's the question.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Except if you purchased a CPTK license, which I did, from a major retailer. Pro Tools 10, plus CPTK lists at $2600, and gave you all of the software features of the HD feature set. My other system is a PT10HD system that yes, is tied to my HD3 Accel system I bought in 2003 (those cards were put away last year).

Is Avid looking at those 2 investments, well over 10K worth, and saying: "OK he can always run HD, even if it is without our hardware since he bought in at one point". Or are they saying I'm only in for 11. That's the question.
I think not, but you're right, they need to clarify this. It would be dumb imho as I don't think anyone would upgrade with those circumstances.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I read Tonys statement as being a one time offer in that its only available to CPTK users and will be the only time that there will be away to get a standalone PT HD software license legitimately. That any new users will be required to buy HD hardware.

Obviously there are points that need do be verified.
I think it's foolish beyond belief that Avid is going to REQUIRE an expensive hardware purchase to gain surround capability, which nearly all their competitors offer in their basic packages. At the very least, I would implore Avid to migrate surround and the full suite of automation controls to the basic package.

Then the HD package becomes about huge track counts, VCAs and advanced metering. I think that would be fair and their sales would increase dramatically.

Chris
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
I think it's foolish beyond belief that Avid is going to REQUIRE an expensive hardware purchase to gain surround capability, which nearly all their competitors offer in their basic packages. At the very least, I would implore Avid to migrate surround and the full suite of automation controls to the basic package.
It's amazing to me in this day of faster and faster computing, where apple doesn't even have a pro machine, where PCI might eventually go away, where thunderbolt hasn't really taken hold, that a company would go out of it's way to alienate clients that wanted to run their best software without some sort of hardware investment.

Who did they hire to research this situation? Dr. Bob's market research corp?

Look, if you need to charge an arm and a leg for Pro Tools HD software only, then do it and explain why. I can't imagine PT10 plus CPTK had that much smaller of a profit margin than PT native. The more I think about it the more it makes me worry about Avid's future.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM

The "added functionalities" originally gained with purchasing CPTK are not improved or new in PT HD 11, then I don't see why make it a "one time deal".
Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 PM

Looks like they're only making it available now because that's what they feel like doing. It will simplify their product line and reduce the number of options people are upgrading from.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
It's amazing to me in this day of faster and faster computing, where apple doesn't even have a pro machine, where PCI might eventually go away, where thunderbolt hasn't really taken hold, that a company would go out of it's way to alienate clients that wanted to run their best software without some sort of hardware investment.
You smacked it on the head, right there. Because of Apple's dumb-***** decisions I don't have a spare slot to stick the dang card in if I wanted it! By the time I throw a graphics card, a Black Magic card and an eSATA card in, I'm done. And if I don't need a PT HD/Native card, I'm sure not going to go spend a few grand on a PCI expansion box.

Wake up, Avid.

Chris
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM

Could it be that they will add some features to the non-HD version to make up for it?

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.