Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM

Default PT 11 Webcast

A lot of food for thought during the webcast :

Seems like interfaces as old as the Mbox 2 line, and 003's will officially be supported, and the 002 line, as well as the blueface I/O's (192's 96's) should work - though not be officially supported.

In spite of all the seemingly amazing optimisations, the minimum system requirements are pretty hefty (I thought the minimum amount of RAM had doubled in the space of a couple of minutes, until I realised I had flipped from the non-HD page to the HD spec page )

Another odd thing was that when the subject of doing a faster than realtime bounce on an HDX system, using HEAT, was mentioned - it turns out that everything gets rendered out through a Native version, away from the DSP cards (obviously).

I don't know if that was a slip-up, and admission that at some point they will make HEAT available as a Native plugin (as it clearly has to work that way now), or if it's going to turn in to the ugly old debate about artificially restricting non-HD software...

Anyway, this is generally very encouraging, and there are some great offers to be had with PT LE, and PT9 to 10 cross-grades, which would ensure a complimentary PT11 upgrade at a great price.

For me it all boils down to whether the "not officially supported, but should work" legacy hardware will play nicely with PT11, certain plugin manufacturers biting the bullet on AAX, others deciding if their AAX upgrades will be chargeable, ponying up for the latest McDSP updates, and finally buying an iLok2 (I'm still on PT9).

I guess I've got a lot of homework to do, to decide if it's really worth the hassle, as much as the accumulating expense, as I'm definitely not in the market for a bunch of new audio interfaces quite yet.

This is mighty tempting, but there are a lot of variables to be addressed...
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM

Default Re: PT 11 Webcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
In spite of all the seemingly amazing optimisations, the minimum system requirements are pretty hefty (I thought the minimum amount of RAM had doubled in the space of a couple of minutes, until I realised I had flipped from the non-HD page to the HD spec page )
Well you do have to consider what you're working with in terms of PTHD. You now have timeline cache AND 64 bit memory access. Put a 2-4GB session into memory, and then load up with VIs... you can kill 8GB pretty quickly.

Now that PT is 64 bit, I'm quite seriously considering upgrading my 16GB to 32.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 PM

RAM is going to be one of the cheapest parts of the upgrade. It's the interface upgrade that's going to be pricey for me! I have 8 of the Blue 192's.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post

What I don't understand is the iMac requirements for PT HD. For PT HDX you're going to need a Thunderbolt expansion chassis - that's a given. But look at this: "2012 iMac i5 (all models, all speeds)". What about the mid 2011 iMacs which were the first with TB ports and have the requisite cpu's and can run ML? I know there's a weasel statement that the data is subject to change but still...

QAPLA!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
RAM is going to be one of the cheapest parts of the upgrade. It's the interface upgrade that's going to be pricey for me! I have 8 of the Blue 192's.
In the webcast they say that while not supported, they could potentially still work. They haven't done anything to make them not work was the point.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What I don't understand is the iMac requirements for PT HD. For PT HDX you're going to need a Thunderbolt expansion chassis - that's a given. But look at this: "2012 iMac i5 (all models, all speeds)". What about the mid 2011 iMacs which were the first with TB ports and have the requisite cpu's and can run ML? I know there's a weasel statement that the data is subject to change but still...
Testing.

Probably just haven't.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515