Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2017, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Stems vs Multitracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloj View Post
I've never worked in a chain so never used stems. I just use sub mixes, basically stems but not printed. Don't see the point in stems if your working alone. I don't see the point in them if your in a chain if the next guy is using Pro Tools. Just commit any plugins and send them the session

Because if you're working in post it would be a mess of sessions with hundreds of tracks. Also, the term stem existed long before pro tools and even longer before commit was a twinkle in pro tools eye.

Thats why you would use stems generally printed from a sub group. In music it's less common. What you're describing is the equivalent to the point of this topic,multitrack are what you would share in you're case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 06-13-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
I thought Drew would appreciate the irony is in this;
Mixed music for Avid to be used for Mr. Hernandez’s presentation at NAB later this week,
so when they drop boxed me the files to mix
they were labeled as…you guessed it… Stems!

I'm used to the indie kids from Silverlake labeling trax as such,
(along with the ubiquitous bip’s nowadays).
I thought about linking to this thread when I uploaded my Masters back up to dropbox
but felt that would be a little too snarky…
e

JUST had this, last week. Woman(bandleader) wants me to do a mix for her, after having an engineer, who claimed to be trained by Bruce Swedien, do a mix for her. I've known BS for decades(and I know 'bs' when I hear it), he did NOT train this dude. The 'engineer' she was working with(not the mixer) sends me 'stems'. Not only were these just individual tracks, but they were labeled "HFITSTkik, HFITSTsnr" etc. AND, they were all normalized...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 06-14-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
JUST had this, last week. Woman(bandleader) wants me to do a mix for her, after having an engineer, who claimed to be trained by Bruce Swedien, do a mix for her. I've known BS for decades(and I know 'bs' when I hear it), he did NOT train this dude. The 'engineer' she was working with(not the mixer) sends me 'stems'. Not only were these just individual tracks, but they were labeled "HFITSTkik, HFITSTsnr" etc. AND, they were all normalized...
Nomalization - I hate that process; I've yet to hear anything that's had that done to it that doesn't sound like crap. And as far as track names - I'm not taking the side of the person that did the naming but to a certain extent we're kind of stuck due to naming limitations (space) in each daw with PT being one of the worst. Sure you can name a track 'male vocal omni 1' but that gets truncated to fit PT's track name space. Do the same thing in Digital Performer and you can see the whole name.

QAPLA!
Old 06-14-2017, 06:12 AM

Normalization? Yuk! Wasted code. I can't believe someone sits there and writes code for it for a DAW. Should be banned.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Nomalization - I hate that process; I've yet to hear anything that's had that done to it that doesn't sound like crap.
Well, if you want to have a master limiter on your 2-track and you try to not do any limiting, isn't it the same thing? So in other words, normalizing the final mix to -0.3 rises the levels and guarantees that there is no limiting whatsoever. So it's not completely uselsess
Old 06-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Well, if you want to have a master limiter on your 2-track and you try to not do any limiting, isn't it the same thing? So in other words, normalizing the final mix to -0.3 rises the levels and guarantees that there is no limiting whatsoever. So it's not completely uselsess
May not be useless if one wants to make a mix sound like crap. Every normalizing algorithm I've ever heard has had a deleterious effect on the audio quality.

http://www.learndigitalaudio.com/normalize-audio

QAPLA!
Old 08-30-2017, 06:47 AM

bump.

Went through this again yesterday with someone.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:55 AM

This is SO old.

Normalization is nothing more than gain with a defined max level relative to 0 dbfs.

The "stems"-definition question I'm afraid will ride us for the unforeseeable future - I don't care. Semantics.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Semantics.
Exactly. The meaning of terms.

If stems means multitrack now, how do you say "stems"?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
If stems means multitrack now, how do you say "stems"?
I dunno, "submixes"?