Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Talking Editing an Hour and a Half Single File

I'm new to Pro Tools 8 and this forum. I bought Pro Tools in order to edit an eight channel live recording of our jazz group. The recording is in wave format and was recorded as one 1.5 hr. "Song" taken off the main board. I've imported the tracks into a new session and would like to pull them out one by one and save them as separate song files. The 1.5 hour file is so huge that I'm having trouble seeing the best way to accomplish this. I need some direction! Thanks....

Ron
Old 11-15-2009, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Editing an Hour and a Half Single File

Here's one option: engage the ALL group. Pick a point in between each song and place a cut there("B" key with keyboard focus on). Then rename each track with an abbreviated song/instrument name. Once its chopped into songs, turn off the ALL group. Now you can choose to work in the same master folder, or create a new session folder for each single song(I am mixing a 2 hour live show right now). I chose to keep it all in one master folder, so I then delete all the audio AFTER the first song, then go FILE>Save As and name the song(now the session is in the main folder and all audio is in the main audio files folder. Then with the same session open(under its new song name, delete all the audio and go File>Import>Audio and navigate to the main Audio Files folder and add all the files with the next song name and import them to the regions bin. Now drag the new song regions onto the appropriate tracks. Repeat for each song(my session is 24 tracks so yours should be much easier).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Talking Re: Editing an Hour and a Half Single File

Thanks... that's a good start. Still having trouble after I choose group ALL.
I toggle keyboard focus and use key B to mark but it doesn't work. I looked in the reference guide and see three ways to configure keyboard focus. When I hit B it selects the first track (goes dark grey). Basically stuck at this step. Also,
I don't know what a region bin is... and when I search for it in help it comes up blank. And, when you say delete all audio after the song in question are you referring to the "cut" command or is there another command?

Does anyone else have an alternative way to accomplish my problem...?

thanks,
R
Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Editing an Hour and a Half Single File

Not knowing what the Regions bin is tells me that this(splitting into separate sessions) may be a little too much to tackle for a newbie(no offense intended). You might consider simply working it a song at a time as is(go thru and insert markers at the beginning of each song). The Regions bin is accessed by the tiny side arrow at the bottom right corner of the edit window. Its really important to learn about this for a couple of reasons. First off, you can totally screw yourself if you make a mistake by deleting a region you thought you didn't need. In any case, if you have the time to tackle this and not rush, it will be an excellent learning/teaching experience. Maybe someone else has some simpler instructions. If you have plenty of hard drive space, you might want to save a copy of the session(with all audio files) so you can make a mistake without trashing the whole thing(come to think of it, saving a copy on 2 other hard drives would constitute a proper backup).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Talking Re: Editing an Hour and a Half Single File

I found a good tutorial on lynda.com and now I'm starting to understand what you have been talking about. The forum is great and your help has set me in the right direction... thanks much!