Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-22-2002, 10:29 PM

Default Yamaha synth>MIDI Channels>Pro Tools.......Yamaha user\'s LOOK!!

I know this is a MIDI question,but i've exhausted my resources on the MIDI forum so i came to you guys in hope of getting my Yamaha S90 into multitimbral mode so i can get more than one midi channel communicating with pro tools.(see my post in the midi forum).So far i have Pro tools recognizing the s90 and i am able to get the one channel of midi in and out of pro tools,meaning it sees the sequence and replays it after i record.I've been on the sninety website,but no help,the manual is very vague,the search engine didn't help.So this is my last resort.Hoping someone will be able to get me going......or if anyone could give me a URL address that they know of.ANYTHING PLEASE.....
Old 12-23-2002, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Yamaha synth>MIDI Channels>Pro Tools.......Yamaha user\'s LOOK!!

Not a midi expert but Ill take a shot.
Make shure OMS is set up with the synth in it.
Create a seperate midi track for each channel from the synth that you want to record in protools.
Put the midi track you are recording in record mode.
Under PT Midi select "midi thru" to here the playback.
Read the Midi chapter in the Prootools manual.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the reply,but i have done all that and midi is working on one channel.i think my problem is with the synth and how to make it work on several channels.So anyone familiar with yamaha synth's please chime in on this one.I can't figure out the multitimbral mode and how to program multiple patches on multiple channels.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:06 PM

Hi B-Man,

After all the info being passed on to you in the MIDI forum without success, I just couldn't understand how something could be so difficult...

...and then I looked at the manual.

Ok, I don't think this thing could be any more complicated. I can now appreciate your frustrations. What a headache! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Are you using traditional MIDI leads hooked up to the Digi001, or are using a USB cable hooked up to your Mac?

- From what I can decipher, you don't want to be in "Performance" mode, or at least be wary of how it's allocating MIDI channels, as this mode seems to layer four sounds together on the one MIDI channel (or played together from the keyboard).

- Look at Page 26. See where it says "One Mixing (Template) (CH1-16)"? That's what you need to access. You can see the asscociated diagram displaying a different MIDI channel for each sound/instrument.

I expect the trick now is to direct all incoming MIDI to this "mixing" mode, rather than to the performance. I just can't work out how.

If I work it out, I'll let you know. Mind you, it's a bit hard without the synth in front of me. Please post and let me know if you work it out too.

There must be a way.

Phil
Old 12-23-2002, 05:17 PM

I'm not a Yamaha synth user, but I took a quick look at the PDF manual for the S90 and it seems like you should basically just follow the directions on pg.80-81 (Using the S90 as a MultiTimbral Tone Generator).

If you can get 1 channel to work, you should not have much trouble with the rest. Simply create a new MIDI track in ProTools for EACH instrument/channel that you want. So if you want the S90 to play an arrangement of piano, flute, and bass, then you set up 3 MIDI tracks.

The OUTPUT of the ProTools MIDI tracks (defined by a channel) need to match the channel RECIEVED by the S90. So start with setting up one or the other. Follow the instructions in your manual on pg.80-81 to setup each "part" on your synth.

Part 1 = piano patch (or whatever)
RecieveCh = Channel 1

Part 2 = flute patch
RecieveCh = Channel 2

Part 3 = bass patch
RecieveCh = Channel 3

Now go to ProTools:
MIDI Track 1 (piano) Output = S90 Channel 1
MIDI Track 2 (flute) Output = S90 Channel 2
MIDI Track 3 (bass) Output = S90 Channel 3
etc.

Your AUX input track should now be recieving audio for all 3 tracks/instruments.

Also, make SURE that in the S90 is set to recieve ALL 16 MIDI channels in your OMS Studio Setup (simply check all the boxes).

This probably wasn't the most clearly written email, but maybe it'll give you some help.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:49 PM

Hey accension thanks for the continuing help!!

Re: Ok, I don't think this thing could be any more complicated. I can now appreciate your frustrations. What a headache!
Oh yeah one hell of a headache!!!!!

Re:- Are you using traditional MIDI leads hooked up to the Digi001, or are using a USB cable hooked up to your Mac?
I am using a traditional MIDI hook up involving the in/out scheme

Re:- From what I can decipher, you don't want to be in "Performance" mode, or at least be wary of how it's allocating MIDI channels, as this mode seems to layer four sounds together on the one MIDI channel (or played together from the keyboard).
I'm in seq/play mode.I got that much from the manual.

Re:If I work it out, I'll let you know. Mind you, it's a bit hard without the synth in front of me. Please post and let me know if you work it out too.

Yeah i kinda figured it would be hard to help w/out the actuall synth there.And i will DEFINITELY post once i get this thing up and running....Also i can't wait to be able to help someone else through this.

Re:Cleft

Yeah i tried following those instructions but it's like they purposly lead you to the edge of a cliff and then leave you hanging there....Hello what is the next step exactly?....I hate when manuals do this crap to there users.If i was familiar with yamaha manuals maybe that would fly but i am a NEW unexperienced user!

Re:Also, make SURE that in the S90 is set to recieve ALL 16 MIDI channels in your OMS Studio Setup (simply check all the boxes).
Did that!

Re:The OUTPUT of the ProTools MIDI tracks (defined by a channel) need to match the channel RECIEVED by the S90. So start with setting up one or the other. Follow the instructions in your manual on pg.80-81 to setup each "part" on your synth.

Part 1 = piano patch (or whatever)
RecieveCh = Channel 1

Part 2 = flute patch
RecieveCh = Channel 2

Part 3 = bass patch
RecieveCh = Channel 3
Here'in lies the problem,making the synth do just that.

Thanks,i'll post as soon as i experiment for a few more hours [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 07:46 PM

Think I'm having a similar prob with my 001 and a YAMAHA EX5. OMS setup looks good, I'm sending and receiving MIDI, propgram names are showing up in the "OMS Names...", EX5 is setup as an input device, and I'm recording the MIDI sequence data in PT.

However, as soon as I create another MIDI channel using a different program from the synth, it switches all of the channels to the same program (even though it still displays the correct program name on the Program button in PT). [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Seems to be a YAMAHA issue as far as I can tell but, I have yet to find an option on the synth (and I've turned most every option on/off) to fix the prob.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:55 PM

Hi there cwhite771,doesn't this just suck!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I've been playing around with settings to no avail.I'm beginning to think it's something that's not correct on both ends.
Here is where i stand as of now: I can record 1 midi track into pro tools,Stop recording and have PT's play back the midi data....I can then play along with a different instrument on a different midi channel inside the synth,..BUT when i try to make Pro tools recognize the second channel coming from the synth in order to record the Ch.2 sound IT WILL NOT "SEE" or "REGISTER" that there is a second channel of midi going into PT's.

Q:On the 1 channel that is working i have the input channel set to Ch.1 and the output set to Ch.1 and it works fine,but when i use the SAME channel strip and set the channels to let's say Ch.2 respectively,Pt's won't register the fact that i made that change and i get silence.
And i have a patch selected inside the synth on Ch. 2 so i know the problem is not on the synth side.Or maybe it's a little of both.
Any question's or comment would be welcomed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I hope i was clear enough in my explanation and terminology....
Old 12-23-2002, 09:17 PM

Hmmm... sorry if you've already answered this one in a previous post -- what is the Global Receive channel on your S90 set for? I'm not too familiar with the S90 but, this is usually an option on most YAMAHA synths under Utility and then MIDI.

It sounds like you may have it set to only receive on channel 1. You should be able to set it to omni (or omn) which will allow it to receive on all channels.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:51 AM

I've got the global set to omni,like you mentioned.What about my receive Ch. on?i have it on all,and my KBDtrans Ch.?what does KBD mean?