Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-30-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Upgrade to 7.2 problem - \"Plug-in missing from...\"

This is on a client's rig, dual 2.7, 10.4.7, 4.5 ram, PT 7.2

Everything is working perfectly except the Fairchild bundle from MP4. On my own very similar rig, no problems. On this one, an older session with the Fairchild shows it as inactive. Trying to make it active gives this message:

"The plug-in could not be made active because the plug-in is not present in the plug-ins folder."

When PT goes through the start up sequence, I can see the name "Fairchild" flash by, but in a new test session, the Fairchild isn't in the list of plugs.

The plug is in the plug-ins folder, put there by the installer (installer v8.2, 7_21564 on the stuffed file).

I have done everything up to uninstall / reinstall PT (deleted prefs, databases, repaired permissions, deleted databases), plus repaired permissions on the plug-ins folder, removed and reinstalled the Fairchild bundle.

If I need to uninstall / reinstall, will I need to reinstall all plug-ins? (I'm guessing so.)

Any help?

Best....H
Old 11-30-2006, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Upgrade to 7.2 problem - \"Plug-in missing from

Quote:
I have done everything up to uninstall / reinstall PT (deleted prefs, databases, repaired permissions, deleted databases), plus repaired permissions on the plug-ins folder, removed and reinstalled the Fairchild bundle.
How did you repair permissions on the plug-ins folder? If you did this by running the Repair Disk Permissions command in Disk Utility, there is no guarantee that it did what you think it did. Repair Disk Permissions can only repair disk permissions if the installer leaves a receipt behind. If neither the v7.2 installer or the Fairchild installer left a receipt behind, then Repair Disk Permissions didn't repair the permissions of the plug-ins folder or its contents. Even if the v7.2 install left a receipt behind, Repair Disk Permissions could only repair the permissions for the plug-ins folder, not the Fairchild plug-in (because it was installed by a different installer).

If you Get Info on the Fairchild plug-in, and look at the settings in the Ownership tab, are they same usernames and levels of access for another, known working plug-in?
Old 11-30-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
How did you repair permissions on the plug-ins folder? If you did this by running the Repair Disk Permissions command in Disk Utility, there is no guarantee that it did what you think it did. Repair Disk Permissions can only repair disk permissions if the installer leaves a receipt behind. If neither the v7.2 installer or the Fairchild installer left a receipt behind, then Repair Disk Permissions didn't repair the permissions of the plug-ins folder or its contents. Even if the v7.2 install left a receipt behind, Repair Disk Permissions could only repair the permissions for the plug-ins folder, not the Fairchild plug-in (because it was installed by a different installer).

If you Get Info on the Fairchild plug-in, and look at the settings in the Ownership tab, are they same usernames and levels of access for another, known working plug-in?
I checked the permissions and they were in the admin name, read and write permitted. I also did a get info on the plug-ins folder and even though permissions looked fine, I applied the permissions to the folder. None of this made a difference.

I will check again tomorrow when I am back out at my client's.

Thanks for the help. The BF Fairchild 660 is one of my go to plugs.

Best...H
Old 12-01-2006, 11:21 AM

Today's update:

Re-checked permissions on the Fairchild plugs. Looked fine, still didn't work.

Removed all plugs, except the Fairchild plugs and the mixer, Fairchild still didn't work, plugs not showing up in the inserts menu. I noticed that the start up "loading plug-in" went very fast - just a blip when the word "Fairchild" came up. This is consistent with previous behavior of the non-loading plugs.

(An odd aside - the mixer was labeled "surround" even though I had specified "stereo" at the install. Even more interesting, when I moved the mixer plug back into the plug-ins folder - I had moved all pugs out in preparation - the name changed, right before my eyes, to "stereo".)

Removed the Fairchild660.dpm and Fairchild670.dpm files out of the plug-ins folder and replaced them with previous versions from my PT6.9 partition. At PT start up, the loading plug-ins time was normal for the *old* (or should I say "vintage"?) Fairchild plugs. The plug loaded in my test session. Success???

I'm going to try to work with this setup today and see if I get any crashes. I was able to work in 6.9 yesterday, so if this doesn't work I should still be able to continue.

Digi, let me know if you need any more info to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks....H
Old 12-02-2006, 01:56 PM

I had a similar problem but found, with some fine-print reading and digging around, there was another more recent installer of the plugin that worked.

I have version 7.2 of the plug, Fairchild_Bundle_72_31019.dmg .

You might have a version issue if you're using an installer packaged with MP4. The plug can be installed separately, and if all your other plugs are working I don't expect you would have to do a clean install.

Also, have you tried just copying the appropriate .dpm file from your system?

Cheers
JW
Old 12-03-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I had a similar problem but found, with some fine-print reading and digging around, there was another more recent installer of the plugin that worked.

I have version 7.2 of the plug, Fairchild_Bundle_72_31019.dmg .

You might have a version issue if you're using an installer packaged with MP4. The plug can be installed separately, and if all your other plugs are working I don't expect you would have to do a clean install.

Also, have you tried just copying the appropriate .dpm file from your system?

Cheers
JW
The installer I found wasn't an MP4 installer, it was the one (FairchildBundle7_21564.dmg) on Digi's plug-in support page. I specified DigiBF, dynamics, and OSX and that's the version offerred. Looks like there may be a need for some house cleaning on those pages. I'll do a search for the installer you found.

I'm unfamiliar with .dpm files. Can you fill me in?

Thanks....H
Old 12-03-2006, 09:20 AM

No search results for "Fairchild_Bundle_72_31019.dmg" on Digi support pages.

Best....H
Old 12-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Administrator

You can find that installer on this page:
Optional Plug-Ins for Pro Tools HD 7.2.x & 7.x Native Systems for Mac OS X
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=23689

(linked from the Pro Tools HD 7.2 Mac and HD 7.2.1 Mac sections under Downloads)

But the only thing that the version 7.2 should add as far as I know is Intel-Mac support, although it is a universal binary for both PPC and Intel Macs. You can give it a try to see if that helps.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
You can find that installer on this page:
Optional Plug-Ins for Pro Tools HD 7.2.x & 7.x Native Systems for Mac OS X
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=23689

(linked from the Pro Tools HD 7.2 Mac and HD 7.2.1 Mac sections under Downloads)

But the only thing that the version 7.2 should add as far as I know is Intel-Mac support, although it is a universal binary for both PPC and Intel Macs. You can give it a try to see if that helps.
This 7.2 version worked. Thanks.

As an aside, the icon for the insalled .dpm files was a folder icon as opposed to the nifty icon on the 7.2 version that didn't work.

Best....H