Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-18-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Spike of noise at the end when I bounce to disk??

I just bounced some tracks to disk from a 44.1/24 session. I then imported the tracks to make sure they were OK before I sent them to the mastering engineer. They were fine..............except that at the end of (most of) the tracks, there is a tenth of a second or so of noise. It is nasty; it pegs the meter.

Then I noticed that when I was bouncing all my level needles would jump up at the end of the bounce (not just on the track I was bouncing, but on ALL tracks).

I was bouncing to an interface (192 Digital I/O to Lavry D/A to monitors).

I went back and did different bounces: 44.1/24, 44.1/16, to a stereo bus instead of interface, AIF instead of WAV, etc. Same result: nasty spike at the end of the bounce. Interestingly, it did not occur on every track. It did not occur on a few mono tracks, and on some stereo tracks it occurred on only one channel. But these were rare; it occurred on most tracks. So, that leads me to conclude it is occurring in the bounce operation itself somehow, not due to something external to Pro Tools.

I have never had this problem before, and I have bounced a lot of tracks. Any ideas what the heck is going on??

I am using Pro Tools HD2, PT 5.3, Mac G4 867, OS 9.2.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-18-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Spike of noise at the end when I bounce to dis

I should also add that I have a Trim plug-in on the tracks I am bouncing, and the plug-in gain is automated. I pull the gain down to -INF before the end of the region I am bouncing in the track, so there is no level at the end. I can't see anything in the tracks that would be causing the spike, so it is being generated somehow in the bouncing process (I think).

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-18-2005, 01:02 PM

It appears the spike is occurring after the bounce, when the processing display shows after the bounce. I am converting after the bounce, so I guess this is the processing that is occurring.

Why would this conversion feed back a spike into all the tracks in the session???
Mike
Old 12-18-2005, 03:33 PM

Nobody? Digi Tech Support?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:54 AM

Help!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Spike of noise at the end when I bounce to disk??

ADC?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Spike of noise at the end when I bounce to disk??

What is setting for your DAE Playback Buffer? If it is more than 2 put it back to 2 and try the bounce again.

Hope this helps?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 PM

Ozzie,
Yes, I have the Playback Buffer set higher. I'll try that.

For my information, how/why would this be causing the spike?
Thanks for the help,
Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 07:28 PM

I used to get that noise error all the time.
Never quite figured out exactly what it was, but I got it pinned down to 2 suspects.
1. DSP (having used too much and being close to edge, check your DSP usage)
2. Amount of selection (extend the selection of the bounce to disc by another 2 or 3 bars)

If none of this works, you could do what I eventually did.
I switched over to Recording to Disc.
Internal buss everything to an audio track and then RTD (record to disc) the whole mix.
Then select the file that you just recorded and choose command + shift + K (export selected files as).
If you need to know how to configure it let me know.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 12-19-2005, 10:09 PM

Thank you! I was beginning to think I was the only user out there experiencing this problem. I had never had issues with it until a few months ago, and lately it has become so prevalent that I have been forced to record off the internal busses, as suggested.

Today I was doing some editing to a video clip, and I had hoped that I could bounce audio to the Quicktime movie, but I experienced the same problem. The clip was 30 seconds, but the last second or so had a blank screen on the video, and the nasty noise burst on the audio.

I had suspected the problem being connected to "Convert After Bounce", so I've been trying to "Convert During Bounce" lately, thinking that would help. I did 24 bounces of a 30 second radio spot the other day, and 23 of them had noise glitches in them. Quite a pain...

I have tried removing various plug-ins, switching the Hardware Buffer Settings, and various other things trying to troubleshoot. I will try changing the DAE buffer back to "2" as suggested. Thanks for the info!

pt24, 3 DSP Farms in Exp. Chassis
1.25 GHz G4
1.25 Gig RAM
PT 5.1.3
www.theshop.bz