Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 PM

Default CPU Overload never seems to be fixed..

I love when I have 12 cores .. 64 gig of ram... ONE VI [ezdrummer]
hi buffer
and voila CPU overload which makes me restart ProDogTools
this is still BxxxSXXX
optimised
what else CAn i Do?
anyone else? having such fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 7.55.59 PM.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 06-11-2020, 08:19 PM

Default Re: CPU Overload never seems to be fixed..

There are thousands of threads on DUC discussing how to troubleshoot CPU errors. Starting with troubleshooting plugins. And there is the "help us help you" link up the top of every DUC web page that links to basic troubleshooting stuff. Have you trashed prefs? Tried pulling plugins out of the plugin folder? (not just the plugins you are using in the session)? Tested with built-in output? Tested starting with a new empty session? Tested from a newly created admin account? C'mon man this is beginners stuff.

If you need more help here you should describe exactly what troubleshooting you have tried as well as clearly describe your system, software version etc.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:51 PM

Hmmm yeah
I’ve taken out all the plugins
Put them back , I do use them so testing this is way is hours of , well session works as there’s nothing to use in it , so I’ll put them back ,,
the cpu spike is so random
Like pinned random I can’t just reproduce it at will

Yes Of course trashed pref
Clean Install 3 days it took to install on fresh os last year

you see my signature ? 20 years with pt Lol

Always check activity mon to see what’s running .. nothing as I turn it all off bc Protools can’t STAnd anyone taking the spotlight lol
Pathetic coding
Ozone can be a bitch , then not .. I have taken all Izotope out but didn’t see a huge snappy dif
Protools wants me to just use stock plugins ?
I pretty much have mainstream company’s Stuff that I payed for over the years and has and will work
But
Sometimes this crap works
Sometimes not

I’m clever enough to crawl to the finish line somehow
But come the f on ,And we pay for this ?
It’s a knife edge sometimes compared with say Ableton, which far from perfect
But you just fling stuff about and it kinda just takes it
Protools sometimes just moving a plugin freezes

All my Full time engineer friends call me for pt help
So I do know a bit but
If theirs some switch behind the logo that I missed please let it out
Mojave pt20.5... isn’t this in my sig?
Whatever thx for the text back
The solution is ,there’s none The coders are half there .. certain bugs are old enough to drive at this point

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 06-12-2020, 08:19 AM

I would say it is most likely because you are using a UA thunderbolt interface. And or your graphics card is not robust enough would be my 2nd guess. Perhaps even the 1st choice if the graphics is anything under a 580x.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2020, 11:21 AM

All these things are easily testable. The point is to learn as much as quickly as possible. Plugins are always the first suspect with CPU errors. So pull all third party plugins out... does that work at all? If there is one VI apparently showing issues, then with no other plugins installed do a clean install of only that VI... if that works try adding back the other plugins, see if it breaks. To exclude the interface, try built in output. If the base system seems unstable, reinstall Pro Tools or (more likely) do a clean test install of macOS And start reinstalling stuff from clean installers testing as you go. These things tend to get solved faster by taking bold big steps to triangulate on the problem vs. just trying long lists of small things. Try several big bold steps at once like all but the VI uninstalled, a new empty session, in a new admin user account, after trashing prefs using built in output... the first step is to go from unstable to very stable then start changing things back to see what causes the problem.

When the last clean macOS install was done was the stable or immediately had faults? Where all the plugins reinstalled from up to date/compatible installers? If you have a clean recent macOS install that has not been through a bunch of upgrades that’s great as it’s less likely to be that... and maybe more likely to be plugins. And I am guessing you have a large collection of plugins accumulated over the years.

Avid and Pro Tools have lots of faults, but complaining about them is not going to help fix what is going on with your setup.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-12-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:35 PM

Well thats some info!

graphics card.. never thought about it.
this machine was still being sold in 2019 at apple. I actually went with this over a mac mini for the graphics card, since mac mini had vGraphics and thinking was lets cpu strain for that.
12 cores and 64 gigs of ram... seems like a lot.dunno
I really cant replicate it at will
I noticed there was a bad session last month wouldnt open.. so and while doing the all plugins out, trashed pref eytc , then saw a "white stompbox" avid thing hung the loading.. took that out But i dont think thasts it
is it waves?.. I thought they were good? I wupped to 11

Ozone is a hog. but I use it and insight

I just lose it after 20 years of dealing with protiools.. delay compensation back in the tdm days then, transitional aax rtas.

They "did" a "ground up recode" since it was a patch work from TDM etc
But Im really not seeing the new slick code making things better,,

I like the new features and tell friends that its kinda worth upgrading as the commit and folders and whatever is better Than it was.
But like all things avid, hard to have a fault free system some days..

like opening a session and Midi is reRouted..and you might not even pickup on it.. I think thats pretty basic and pretty sloppy.. and pretty: still isnt fixed.

so yeah I am screaming into the internet. but like all Im just here trying to get things done and asking so little of this

but its still ..ahem" finicky"...

If there was One Bad Plug in and all this would go away:

the midi would load reliably and the sustain pedal would work
and the cpu -9xxx wouldnt go off with 30% cpu reading.
and avid wouldnt keep raising the annual fee.

sold my HD stuff since the annual fee was ..robust lol
Too bad since the 16x16 sounded good.. but its a boat anchor without the HD noose

one plugin,.. Ill find it

Last edited by Rectifried; 06-12-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:41 PM

So much of this is crummy third party plug in design. Ive seen it with my own eyes, and ears. Ran without problems for 9 years, and within SECONDS of installing a stupid simple chorus plug, BAM. jst garbage. broke my own rule and will never do it again. I have a machine /laptop just for testing plugins....
Old 06-12-2020, 05:38 PM

Default CPU Overload never seems to be fixed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
So much of this is crummy third party plug in design. Ive seen it with my own eyes, and ears. Ran without problems for 9 years, and within SECONDS of installing a stupid simple chorus plug, BAM. jst garbage. broke my own rule and will never do it again. I have a machine /laptop just for testing plugins....

I’ve also had a fresh installation of Mac OS with nothing else installed aside from PT and drivers for my interface and the program throws up errors. Playback with a single track and 3 mins in, error and playback stops. Surely their own plugins shouldn’t crash their own DAW.

It seems to have become the default to blame plugins. Yes, they can cause instability but let’s not get away from Pro Tools having some very funky code base. I’ve NEVER had a plugin bring down any other DAW I’ve used.

I’ve said this countless times, but a plugin crash or incompatible plugin should not bring the DAW to its knees. AVID quite literally rewrote their plugin spec a few years back and yet didn’t have the foresight to add sandboxing to the architecture?

Working with this app can be painfully frustrating at times which is a real shame, as the workflow and program itself is great. It just doesn’t have to be such a headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 06-12-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:33 PM

Agreed
If the 3rd party is so to blame (frequent sw developer finger pointing, been going for decades )
Then why don’t they crash other daws as frequently

Old 06-12-2020, 09:26 PM

Too many balls in the air...Im defending Avid on this because theyve got to be 'responsible' for every mal-educated programmer writing junk code thatll bring PT to its knees , AND the OS manufacturer/competitor! throwing monkey wrenches at them. The reason its successful for me is I stuck to a specific OS/PT combo and refused to change. Everything worked fantastic till one stupid third parrty plugin, so my empirical test was confirmed. ITs NOT PT or the third party audio driver or the whatever, its the garbage sludg-ins that ruin it.