Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 PM

Default no sound with mic in eleven rack?

Hi all, noob here. I am loving the guitar through this thing, but tonight I wanted to check out my condenser mic through it. I cannot get any sound at all. I have a condenser mic, so i hook the mic to the mic in on the front panel, switch to 48v for phantom power, nd rean the xlr main out mono (left) to a mic input on a cheap phonic PA. The mic works fine when I use an ART phantom power direct box (tube mp) into the PA.

Am I setting something up wrong? also I cant get it to work with headphones. Frustrated!

Any help would be awesome, and thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:50 PM

Default Re: no sound with mic in eleven rack?

Nevermind, I figured it out
Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM

so how did you figure it out, I just got an eleven rack, and cant get mic signal at all with my shure SM58,. . . .i am using headphones. help.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnboy71 View Post
so how did you figure it out, I just got an eleven rack, and cant get mic signal at all with my shure SM58,. . . .i am using headphones. help.
are you trying to use the 11R in standalone or with Pro tools?

If with Pro Tools, setup a Mono track and choose MIC as the input, arm the track and you should hear the mic. Adjust the input gain with the gain knob.

If standalone, change the RIG input from Guitar to MIC.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post

If with Pro Tools, setup a Mono track and choose MIC as the input, arm the track and you should hear the mic. Adjust the input gain with the gain knob.

What he said.

The only problem that I found with the Shure is that I needed a fair bit of input gain to get a decent signal comparable to other instruments.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
What he said.

The only problem that I found with the Shure is that I needed a fair bit of input gain to get a decent signal comparable to other instruments.
I use a SM58 alot for metal vocals. I like to use the green screamer, a little p-eq, compressor, and maybe some 'verb and chorus. And i too use alot of input gain for the SM58. Sometimes I will use a tube pre-amp for the mic into the LINE input and route that through the rig. The 11R is a great device, I sure hope they keep it around for a few more years.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post

I should also say that in Pro Tools you don't have to use the MIC input for the track to hear the mic. You can also change the rig input to MIC and then use the Eleven Rig L/R for the mic input to the track. Then you can use the effects in the 11R with the mic.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 PM

I'm a little confused about this process. I create a mono track and then set the Input on the track to Eleven Rig L/R (There is no option for MIC except Guitar IN/MIC In which doesn't work). I can get sound from the microphone after charging the track when I change the rig input in the Eleven Rack window (or from unit) from Guitar to MIC. But it has the effect that I have on the Eleven Rack. How do you get voice without effects. For that matter, how do you get a clean guitar without effects? Very confused.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregklau View Post
I'm a little confused about this process. I create a mono track and then set the Input on the track to Eleven Rig L/R (There is no option for MIC except Guitar IN/MIC In which doesn't work). I can get sound from the microphone after charging the track when I change the rig input in the Eleven Rack window (or from unit) from Guitar to MIC. But it has the effect that I have on the Eleven Rack. How do you get voice without effects. For that matter, how do you get a clean guitar without effects? Very confused.
As you have no doubt worked out "Eleven Rig L/R" is the processed output of the Eleven Rack virtual rig, you want is the Mic input.

Guitar In/Mic in is a stereo paired input, it should not show up on a input selector for a mono track. Are you sure you are workign with a mono audio track.

if things are just screwed up, one thing to try is to "default the IO". Go to Setup>IO and click the "Default" option on the input, output and bus pages. Now do you see the Mic input in your audio track input selector button? All working OK now?

You may need to turn up the mic gain significantly (make sure the pad is off if so) and make sure phantom power is turned on for Mics 9e.g. condenser Mics) that require this.

BTW if on a Mac make sure you have the "Eleven Rack" selected as the playback engine in Pro Tools, and you are not trying to use an aggregate IO device, that can confuse things.

You record the dry guitar by selecting the Eleven Rack "guitar input" on a mono audio track. The guitar signal level will be very low, you may have to zoom in a lot on the track edit window to see the signal. All this is made easier if you start with the Eleven Rack session templates packaged with Pro Tools. And the Eleven Rack manual explains all this in beautiful detail. You need to open up and read that manual there is too great stuff you'll miss without doing that.

Darryl
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 AM

I had defaulted the I/O previously, but something must have happened and these inputs weren't showing up. Defaulting again worked and now I have MIC IN and GUITAR IN although in white and not yellow like the Eleven Rack Input. Thanks for your help.