Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 01-24-2021, 01:10 PM

Default How many live tracks:

I am absolutely sure I'm in the wrong section w/this and I do apologize , I am new to pro tools. I just signed up for pro tools standard (l believe) (not pro first) , I am trying to record a song with a couple of midi tracks and at least three live playing tracks (guitar/bass/acoustic). My problem is I cannot record the third live track. Is ther a limit on audio tracks you can record. I'm sure there is , but thought you could record more than 2 live tracks. I've tried playing on instrument tracks and such but cannot get that third (Bass) track. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:00 PM

Default Re: How many live tracks:

32 channels, assuming your interface is capable, is the maximum amount of simultaneous tracks you can record in PT standard.

Are you using audio tracks? Your post mentions instrument tracks and MIDI tracks. You need to be recording your ‘real’ instruments onto audio tracks.

If so, check the inputs are correctly assigned and double check everything looks right in I/O setup for your interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2021, 03:43 AM

Thanks for your reply. That answers my question. I thought I could only use two Audible channels. I usually use 3 to 4 Audible tracks for guitar/bass/acoustic guitar and vocals. Then some midi Keyboards and still learning the rest. I am running pro tools '20 - 12 I believe. It will take awhile , and I hope I don't trouble you guys to much. Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:01 AM

Groove 3 is an excellent place for tutorials on how to use Pro Tools. If you're cash-strapped, youtube has a ton of tutorials for free(some are very good and others.....well.......)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave