Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2002, 02:04 PM

Default Using Audio track to trigger Midi

I'm relatively new to pro tools and getting to grips with it (bit by bit). I've been re-mixing some songs, where the talent want a bigger drum sound (don't we all) and Soft Sample has the sounds, but how other than slowly making up (hit by hit) the midi triggers can I capture the real drum performance. I know about some plug-in that will do sound replacement, but what about triggering within PT ?

regards
Scotsman
Old 04-15-2002, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Using Audio track to trigger Midi

You'll need a midi module that has trigger ins such as an Alesis d4, roland td7 or similar.
Then send your original kik to an output (hardware out) to the Midi module, your "tape track" will trigger the sound you have dialed up on the module.
You then return this to an audio track on Ptools. Simple.
You will probably have better luck if you gate the original track so no bleed from other stuff causes false triggers.
when I do this I generaly gate then high pass eq the original track so that your pretty much just sending a "click" or very sort spike to the module.
Make sure after you print the new track to zoom in and nudge forward to compensate for the delay incurred in triggering this way. Some modules can induce a delay that can be quite noticeable.
Also , if your cutting live drums in your place invest in ddrum triggers for kik and snare, and go direct to an interface or module (we use a drum kat) and print your midi track simultaneously. This can give you tons of options.
have fun...
Craig [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2002, 10:29 PM

oops , I didn't really pay attention to your question...as far as triggering within sample P.T. using sample cell...I don't know. Is there a side chain type function? Don't own Sample cell so I can't really help. I've heard good things about sound Replacer but have not tried it.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:59 AM

.. try Sound Replacer.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:51 PM

I wish Sound Replacer had a mode where it pasted a midi note instead of a sample.

sm
Old 04-18-2002, 02:41 AM

why bother with midi for this? Use sound replacer, its way more accurate. Buy some d drum triggers and record them at the same time (the click that comes from the tranducer) and trigger from these. I spent years messing around with midi for triggers, you'll be nudging hits around for days....go for sound replacer, I'm tellin ya.