Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaba View Post
Thanks!
Yeah definitely an oversight on my part with respect to the socket/cpu compatibility.

I originally was thinking of doing the i7-6800 with the x99 motherboard but then sort of talked myself out of it and decided to go with the i7-7700 instead.

Any suggestions for a good socket 1151 motherboard?
:)
My suggestion would be a socket 2011-3 motherboard and a 6-core i7 to match Talk yourself back into it

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-05-2017, 04:29 AM

I'm looking at the ASUS PRIME X299-A LGA2066 DDR4 wich has 4133 MHz memory support.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-993-_-Product

However I can't find any ram with the 4133MHz spec. The motherboard also supports 2400 MHz, 2133 MHz, 2666 MHz, 3600 MHz and 4000 MHz ram.
When bying memory does it have to match the frequencies above?

I've noticed newegg are selling 3000MHz and 3200MHz memory sticks.
Can I get these or is it not optimal?
Old 08-05-2017, 06:18 AM

My understanding is that memory speed hasn't been an audio processing bottleneck for a long time.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post

When bying memory does it have to match the frequencies above?

Can I get these or is it not optimal?

I've never had a problem slowing down my memory

I had a hackintosh for several years and the Gigabyte board supported 1800mghz but the Mac software did not without some work around....

I slowed my 1800 down to 1600 without an issue, in software or PT.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 PM

New build just ordered.

ASUS X99 Deluxe ii
i7-6850k - 6core
Corsair 16gb at 2400 - DDR4
EVGA GTX760 - SC - Old Card.

Will probably wait till I get a stable build with PT and then jump on the M2 drives......they are decently affordable at the 256gb price point.

I have never had experience with those, but it seems like they should be reliable with PT.

Anybody had any bad experiences with those drives in PT before? It might be more data flowing from your recording target than the actual OS install. Oh well I will see.

Last edited by YYR123; 08-11-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:26 AM

Thinking of switching from Mac over to Windows with a new computer, tired of waiting for new Mac Pro to come out. I was hoping someone could share some of their Pro Tools Windows wisdom. Thanks if you can!

I'm planning to run Windows 10 Pro with Pro Tools 12 vanilla (latest versions) with a TEAC UD 301 USB interface for output (as far as I can tell it should be fine, it has ASIO drivers available for Windows 10).

1) It appears Avid has qualified the nvidia m4000 but I would rather get the P4000 since it is newer. I know it might be overkill but I want a decent graphics card for other things. Do the Pascal graphics cards work well with PT12 and Windows10 Pro? Avid support portal said they think so but they couldn't guarantee it. Hoping someone out there is using a P4000 successfully.

2) Are there any plugin companies that have issues with Windows Pro Tools compatibility? I use a lot of Waves, NI, Fabfilter, SoundToys, and Izotope. Also a lot of Altiverb. Sometimes Slate, but Slate actually crashes PT on my mac a lot, wish it didn't cause I like their stuff! I also use a lot of VIs like Serum, Synthmaster, UVI workstation, Diva, etc.

3) Might be a dumb question, but is it possible to play web browser audio and system audio through the same audio interface Pro Tools is using while Pro Tools is open and running?

4) Beyond that, is it possible to route that web browser and system audio to an input in Pro Tools (like soundflower can do for Mac via aggregate devices)? If so, is this an ASIO4all thing or can it be done through WASAPI?

5) If my Teac UD 301 audio interface doesn't work, does anyone have any suggestions for a rock solid 96KHz+ xlr out audio interface (i only need output) that works flawlessly with Windows 10 and Pro Tools 12? USB would be preferred but I'll probably be getting thunderbolt in my computer so that would work too.

Thanks if anyone has any knowledge and experience they could share!

Last edited by Pique Arestiuvee; 08-16-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 AM

I have the Samsung 950 M2 drive installed on my Gigabyte thunderbolt motherboard and also a couple of 850 SSD drives. When you run the Samsung drive utility and check the speed the M2 smokes the SSD drive in the test. The price is not much difference. If your MB has the capability you really should use it for your OS drive. It's a monster for speed these days and I haven't had a hint of a problem with it running PT 12.4 and a bunch of Apollo hardware.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Default i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioman1973 View Post
I have the Samsung 950 M2 drive installed on my Gigabyte thunderbolt motherboard and also a couple of 850 SSD drives. // If your MB has the capability you really should use it for your OS drive. It's a monster for speed these days and I haven't had a hint of a problem with it running PT 12.4 and a bunch of Apollo hardware.

Nice info audio man !!! Thank you

So you use it for OS install only? Or for both the OS install and the recording drive?

Old 08-16-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pique Arestiuvee View Post
2) Are there any plugin companies that have issues with Windows Pro Tools compatibility? I use a lot of Waves, NI, Fabfilter, SoundToys, and Izotope. Also a lot of Altiverb. Sometimes Slate, but Slate actually crashes PT on my mac a lot, wish it didn't cause I like their stuff! I also use a lot of VIs like Serum, Synthmaster, UVI workstation, Diva, etc.
I use Waves, NI, Soundtoys and Izotope on PC all the time.

Quote:
3)Might be a dumb question, but is it possible to play web browser audio and system audio through the same audio interface Pro Tools is using while Pro Tools is open and running?
This isn't always easy in my experience - I think it depends on the interface, but Pro Tools for me has a habit of hogging any interface I use.

Quote:
4) Beyond that, is it possible to route that web browser and system audio to an input in Pro Tools (like soundflower can do for Mac via aggregate devices)? If so, is this an ASIO4all thing or can it be done through WASAPI?
Hopefully your PC motherboard audio system will have an optical (S/PDIF) output. Grab an optical (Toslink) cable and run it into the Optical In at the back of your Teac. In Windows audio settings, choose a digital output (precisely what it's called may vary) to send the audio from your motherboard to your interface. Then it should be a matter of finding your interface's Digital In in your Pro Tools I/O settings and you're good to go.

Quote:
5) If my Teac UD 301 audio interface doesn't work, does anyone have any suggestions for a rock solid 96KHz+ xlr out audio interface (i only need output) that works flawlessly with Windows 10 and Pro Tools 12? USB would be preferred but I'll probably be getting thunderbolt in my computer so that would work too.
I'm a big fan of my Audient iD14, especially the 'iD' mode for the knob.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:59 PM

Thanks so much for the info Andy! I checked out that audient14 looks like a good option to keep in mind in case the TEAC doesn't work out. Also great to hear you have no problems with the plugins.

I thought I was asking a dumb question about playing back system and web browser sounds through the same audio interface as Pro Tools while Pro Tools is up and running but I guess not, I'm glad I asked! Wow, I'm really surprised and bummed out about that. I'll have to investigate and see if there is a solid workaround for that, that's actually a pretty big problem for my workflow, it is important for me to have that sound coming out of the same interface and monitors.

Also bummed to hear that it takes physical digital cables to route system and web browser audio into Pro Tools. I thought ASIO4all and WASAPI were made to do those kind of things but I'm from the world of Mac so I don't know much about the two.

Thanks again for the info Andy!