How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-09-2020, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
That's because the machines you did it to would have originally shipped with an older Mac OS when they were first released.
Most yes, but some no. There were new releases which we'd wiped and rolled back one iteration for the sake of PT.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
In this case, the IT guy making the judgment that it can't be retrograded to Mojave is a former Apple repair person.
Then I'm sure that's a fair call about this particular machine.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
The only reason it cannot be done is if there's hardware present in the new machine which the previous OS wasn't prepared for.
That is just what 16" MBP and new Mac Pro are, that is my point exactly
Old 01-10-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Correct, the MBP 16" and the new MacPro are the only two machines at this point that can only run Catalina and beyond.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It's good that we have an ex-Apple support person to verify this, but it's not always been the case. I do remember a couple of instances where the previous OS didn't easily go onto a newly-released model and we had to trick it, but it worked. And we should lose sight of the fact that this is not a good thing Apple has done. And I suppose we shouldn't forget that some OSs do make accommodations for upcoming models even before those models are released. We've seen it in the code. Perhaps it was only to allow beta testers using soon to be outdated machines to test the new iteration of the OS, but, again, it has worked historically. Apple hardware-tethering new machines is not something I'm excited about, and it's primarily from the angle or ProTools that it's an issue.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
It's good that we have an ex-Apple support person to verify this, but it's not always been the case. I do remember a couple of instances where the previous OS didn't easily go onto a newly-released model and we had to trick it, but it worked. And we should lose sight of the fact that this is not a good thing Apple has done. And I suppose we shouldn't forget that some OSs do make accommodations for upcoming models even before those models are released. We've seen it in the code. Perhaps it was only to allow beta testers using soon to be outdated machines to test the new iteration of the OS, but, again, it has worked historically. Apple hardware-tethering new machines is not something I'm excited about, and it's primarily from the angle or ProTools that it's an issue.
I have been doing Macintosh consulting since 1986. This has always been the case. If a new piece of hardware is released after the release of a major OS, that new hardware can not run an older OS that came out before it's release.

There may have been an odd exception or two where new hardware was actually developed on the older OS but came out after the new OS in the last couple of decades, but those would be outliers. The original Mac Pros come to mind where the 2009 4,1 could be flashed with 5,1 firmware and the 2010 and 2012 5,1's were actually the exact same machines with different processor options.

This is nothing new. Apple isn't going to go back and patch an obsolete OS to support new hardware. There have been untold times where one could not buy a new mac to run Pro Tools until Digidesign/Avid updated their software.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:05 PM

Which is what I tried to point out in my original post... perhaps not clearly enough. It’s always been this way.

I’m not sure I’d want to run a system that was tricked into running an OS it was never designed to run on, especially on a production machine. Pro Tools is flaky enough. We’d be adding fuel to the fire. =P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I have been doing Macintosh consulting since 1986. This has always been the case. If a new piece of hardware is released after the release of a major OS, that new hardware can not run an older OS that came out before it's release.
I remember temporarily moving boot drives from the new computer into an older machine in order to install the previous iteration of the OS, then the drive was placed back into the new machine. That was the most drastic workaround, but by the end we were up and running. Most of these instances were in the 90's or early 00's, when Apple was less restricting (or, rather, workarounds were more prevalent if you were creative). I do find it hard to believe that we lucked into a successful scenario each time, but it's not worth dissecting since it was over a decade ago and the answer about the new MBP is definitive.

I actually support Apple's hardware restrictions and control (to a degree), and it is, after all, a large part of what makes their closed-universe more stable. And it's only an issue every few years.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I’m not sure I’d want to run a system that was tricked into running an OS it was never designed to run on, especially on a production machine. Pro Tools is flaky enough. We’d be adding fuel to the fire. =P
It was a different time, and tricking the computer was part of the gig. SCSI IDs, extension conflicts, versions of QT compatible with necessary application A but not necessary application B, hardware revisions that didn't work with particular expansion chassis but were required for the Avid video card, no downloadable software to speak of, etc. Getting a complex studio to function perfectly, and keeping it that way, took effort. So it wasn't so unusual to run anything that might be considered tricked today.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:34 PM

I’m not THAT young.

FYI - I still use SCSI today. =P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk