Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Convert Midi to Audio

Hi, I'm new to Protools so this maybe a dumb question. Using M Box 6.7, I would like to convert a recorded Midi passage to audio.How is this done? Thank you
Old 09-27-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Convert Midi to Audio

We need more information from you; what are you using as as MIDI sound module?
Do you even have a MIDI sound module?

MIDI data is just instructions for the computer to play music; kind of like electronic sheet music. The MIDI data is the sheet music, the computer is the performer, and the performer needs an instrument to play; a MIDI sound module.

You don't really need to "record" the audio output, because it will play back in time with the Protools session once it is imported, but you can. What you would do is to route the audio output from the MIDI sound module to an audio track.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-27-2005, 11:53 PM

I'm sorry for the lack of info. I am using my midi keyboard to play NI B4 RTAS. It shows up and plays in Midi but I would like to convert it to a audio track,Thank;s
Old 09-28-2005, 01:50 AM

Create a MIDI Track, click the MIDI Output selector and route the output to what ever device your using? then Channel ?. Create two Stereo Audio Track, and name them, one's for your Plug-in and the other for your recorded Audio. In the first Stereo Audio Track the one containing the Plug-in set the output to Bus 1-2. Then set the input of the second Stereo Audio Track (the one you want to record on) to Bus 1-2. Click the Record Enable button on the same track, then if you have data stored on your MIDI Track, press Enter to return to the start of your session for Playback and then one more thing Enable Input Only Monitor mode, you will find that under Operation or Alt+K (in the Transport your record button should turn green). Hit the Space bar and your rocking. (Fingers crossed)
Old 09-28-2005, 10:09 AM

Or simply click on bounce to disk on the file menu...and just the one "hey presto" theres your audio region which you can then drag into an available audio track.

Just remember to solo the the track before bouncing.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:37 PM

How does that work? My understanding of MIDI is that it stores performance data only.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
How does that work? My understanding of MIDI is that it stores performance data only.
True,but the poster has his softsynth/virtual instruments running inside PT. That means he's just bouncing/recording the sound( with the MIDI track "PLAYING BACK" the performance of that softsynth plug-in) directly in PT to create an audio file.

No need for "hardware" routing if its a softsynth as the aux track with the activated plug-in is the instrument or sound output.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 PM

Very interesting, would this include Third Party or Rewire applications?
Old 09-30-2005, 06:48 AM

of course.If its software and you can play(MIDI) and hear it(AUX track) during playback,then yeah you can certainly bounce to disk.

my set up includes Kontakt and sampletank free (No hardware synths or module.)
I bounce every track to audio once Im happy with the take- its easy on the cpu
Old 10-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Very good, I'll have to try this technique out myself. At the moment, I've put MIDI aside, because of CPU issues, but I love my Moog Modular V, you just have total control. I as every one else, are looking forward to version 7.0, fingers crossed no more CPU limitations, but time will tell and even then, I'd say we'd find ways of maxing out our systems. So did you figure this technique out yourself?