Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2002, 10:10 AM

Default Monitoring Drums through Headphones

I have a problem. So I've been scanning the DUC for nearly 4 months building my studio. Got the mics I want, drums are tuned the way I want them, and my digi001 and digimax LT are ready for some serious tracking. Problem is this, I need to experiment with mic placement on the drums to find the right sound, but the only way I can test mic placements is to place, record the drums, and play back. This sucks for me because I am doing it myself and need to run back and forth between my desk and set, which in this tight space is basically a pain.

So my question is, I know there are isolation headphones, but has anyone used them to sit at a drumset and monitor different mic placements? Do they block out the actual drum sounds well enough to hear how they will sound through the mic/headphones/mix? Thanks very much. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2002, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Monitoring Drums through Headphones

Ask and you shall receive. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I use them myself - also works good for finding mic placement on loud geetar amps.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:21 AM

I too am a one man show, recording and performing at the same time. I find it really hard, especially recording drums. My DAW is on one side of the room, and my drums are at the other. It seens impossible but does anyonehave any ideas how I can record drums and play them too?
Old 12-19-2002, 10:26 AM

Thanks bassmac, those were some of the cans I was checking out. One question though - are those so sound-deading that it would affect my drumming while tracking? Should I use those just for monitoring or can I for tracking as well? Thanks in advance. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2002, 10:37 AM

the way to deal with getting drum sounds really si to record a bit and playback and listen. tedious yes, but it's the prescribed method.

Try to get someone to help move mics whilst you listen.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:43 AM

I tend go switch back and forth with my Sony 7506's (I think that's the model). Sometimes I just mute the record enabled tracks and monitor the drums simply by what bleeds in through the Sony's.

The Ultraphones are pretty dead, I'll usually monitor the OH tracks through them when I'm tracking. Or, sometimes I'll mute everything and just adjust the phones slightly off my ears for the right balance of bleed.

I guess it just depends. They are worth having around though.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:56 AM

Thanks a lot! Just ordered mine. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2002, 03:09 PM

I use shooters muffs, the plastic industrial type with a set of sonny walkman headphone taken of the band and stuffed inside. The sony's are about 15$. Get the ones with the bass boost.
This works pretty good for tracking.
For getting sounds I have a pair of akg 270's I can crank up to listen to one sound source at a time for Mic placement ect.But watch your ears! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2002, 04:21 PM

Could you get a USB extension cable for your keyboard so you can remote control PT? You might need a powered USB hub to drive the extra length.
This way you can control the record playback from the throne and avoid running around all the time
Old 12-19-2002, 05:05 PM

I run a second Kensington Expert Mouse Pro trackball over to my drums. The buttons are programed for start/stop & record. No getting up.