Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Creating a Headphone Mix

Hey,

I have a Digi 002, and I am trying to create a seperate headphone mix for the person recording, withouth affecting my mix in the control room. How do I go about doing that?

Also How can I create a talkback system using the Digi 002?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 10-18-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Creating a Headphone Mix

Use your sends to create a mix to a separate set of outputs. Patch you Mic to those same outputs, and mute it when you ain't talking.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 10-18-2005, 12:56 AM

thanks i really appreciate you responding. Could you give a little more details as far as the headphone mix and the sends. Do I have to do anything with my I/O settings?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 04:04 AM

I regularly do voice for tv-commercials, and use the following setup:

I have an external mic-amp into analogue 1.

I have 1 audiotrack to record on which is muted always.
I create 1 aux track which has the same input. This is so I can always hear what is going on in the voice-booth.

All tracks except the voice being recorded is routed to my "masterbus" (15-16)
From this bus I create a send Aux (prefader) that outputs a mono signal that goes to analogue 8.
The Masterbus is then outputted to Analogue 1-2 which is my monitors.
Analougue 8 is to the voice-booth monitor.

I send the voice-aux and other tracks that I don´t want the guy in the booth to hear directly to output 15-16.
When I playback for the person in the "box" I move the audio to a track that is sent to the masterbus.

I use an external mixer to mix talkback, playback and the directreturn to the voice-booth monitor. The direct signal goes from the mic-amp to the mixer without using the 002.

The advantages of my setup is this:
* There is no delay in the direct signal. ie no phaseproblems for the voiceartist.
* It is easy to adjust the level of playback both in the controlroom and in the booth independently.
* It is easy to play back what was recorded for the person in the booth
* The talkback is always on so there is no feeling of paranoia for the person in the booth (unfortunately no line of sight)
* I hear the unprocessed voice being recorded, but can easily chuck it into the masterbus to hear post Waves L2.