Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-04-2001, 10:29 PM

Default OS X Support? When can we drop OMS?

Just recently upgraded to a G4, but I'm having a lot more problems than I had anticipated. For one, OMS breaks under MacOS 9.21. For two, I'd really like to use ProTools under OS X. Does anyone know when OSX support will start? What about a replacement for OMS?
Old 09-04-2001, 10:55 PM

Default Re: OS X Support? When can we drop OMS?

Well, digi doesn't release any info about future updates, as for OMS, the main reason that OMS sucks so much these days is that Gibson bought Opcode, and just basicly is ignoring that port.

Who knows? Certainly not I.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:04 AM

What breaks with OMS under 9.21? I have no probs.

One thing with OMS though is that you need to be very careful with the versions of all your drivers and the versions of OMS.

The best bet after you install the new OS is to find the version of OMS that your software needs (.7 or .8), and then reinstall it.

But before that, make sure you hunt down all OMS stuff in your system folder and remove it.

I hope this helps.

My experience is that OMS can be a pain if it isn't installed properly, but once it is I never have any problems.

As an aside, I installed 9.2.1 on my system and OMS still works perfectly (.8).
Old 09-05-2001, 06:26 AM

and remember to disable 'use apple serial dma' in the preferences as the manual says to do. OMS is great for the most part. I heard Apple would possibly buy OMS. that would be nice. Someone needs to get free midi going and replace OMS or opcode needs to further develope it. imagine what could have been if we didnt loose 2 years of oms development.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:59 PM

I read somewhere (on the Apple site) that the guy who did OMS is working on Core Audio, which is Apples new way to do Audio and MIDI.

Should be very cool.