Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2001, 04:09 AM

Default Promax DH-Max crashes

In my G4-466 with 512MB, Miro DC30+, Atto, Magma Expansioncard with D24, Mixfarm, 2 DSPfarms and PT5.1 in some cases my DH-Max crashes. After restart it works for a couple of hours, but than thre are strange lines and colours on it. Have anybody the same problem with the Promax Dualheadcard Rom-vers. 2.0? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2001, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Promax DH-Max crashes

Hi,This is probably not much help, but I've found the Promax card to be very stable. A little slow, but very stable. The problem is probably to do with the DC Miro card or the combo of both cards.
Old 09-24-2001, 01:02 PM

funny -- i've had similar crashes, and also have assumed that it was related to the dh-max card -- thin lines of color all across the screen, and then quickly after, a total system freeze. Sometimes I get lucky and I can get one last save in before total freeze.

Always comes back okay after on or two re-boots. I've thought maybe it is an extension conflict, but I haven't found the correct weeding yet to solve the problem. Probably freezes about three time in an intensive day of editing.

-mike
(323) 851-0299
[email protected]
www.tfpost.com
Old 09-26-2001, 08:43 PM

I've had similar problems with my DH-Max. Turned out to be a problem in the design of the card. Seems that the mounting bracket is not quiet set on right (You may have noticed the screw holes were offest when you installed it). The practical upshot is that when I screwed the card in tight, it would warp slightly. After a while the heat build up in the case would actually cause it to unseat. Solution - loosen off the screw that holds the card down. No more crashes since then! Strange but true...

P.S. This has happened in more than one system we installed the Max on.

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 09-27-2001, 06:48 PM

Hi,
used a Promax dual card when I first got the G4/733. Working mostly on LOGIC, it did not work at all. Any Audioedit would create pictures and images that you do not want to see trying to edit audio.
Got the Jeronimo 2000 - not a problem ever since.
Makes sense sometimes to follow Digi's advice.
Juergen
Old 09-27-2001, 08:02 PM

FWIW, there is a beta driver for the DH-MAX beyond version 2.0. Contact ProMax tech support, and they'll email it to you.

I'm currently using the ProMax card, but I'm seriously thinking of trying the Jeronimo. The DH-Max has a lot of graphical flaws (using a Quicksilver 733). Also, I suspect the drivers aren't as fine-tuned regarding -6042 issues as the Jeronimo's.

Oh well, it was a relatively inexpensive experiment. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lee Blaske