Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-30-2020, 07:49 PM

Default DADman Monitor not restoring

I'm setting up a new MTRX Studio, so far mostly good. Dante Controller doing its thing, DADman routing working, but the Monitor section is behaving strangely. I can build whatever in the Monitor, save, import, what have you. But if I relaunch the app, none of the settings come back.

I'm sure I missed some key info in the manual, or in one of the videos, or the Zoom conference yesterday...
Old 09-30-2020, 07:52 PM
Avid

Default Re: DADman Monitor not restoring

Greetings,

Do you have the preferences set in DADman to automatically load the last open Monitor Profile when DADman is launched?

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-01-2020, 03:52 PM

Ahh, I see. That seemed do the trick.

So two questions remain. Why would you want things not to come back up the way they were? And the second question would be why would that be the default?
Old 10-01-2020, 04:05 PM

Ahh, I see. That seemed do the trick.

So two questions remain. Why would you want things not to come back up the way they were? And the second question would be why would that be the default?
Old 10-01-2020, 05:56 PM
Avid

Default DADman Monitor not restoring

MTRX and MTRX Studio are both extremely versatile interfaces that are used lots of different ways. For example, a MTRX unit could be acting primarily as a digital router, stand-alone converter and remote control mic preamp, but never acting as a monitor controller - ala the Pro|Mon functionality that we talk about with a EUCON controlled monitor section. Conversely, a MTRX or MTRX Studio could be used almost entirely for dedicate monitoring within a facility.

In any case, I would recommend working on dialing in and perfecting your monitor profile and set the preferences to have it automatically load on startup. I’m also a fan of NOT having it auto save on exit. I think of the monitor profile as a template of sorts and always want to start the day or session from a known place. The .dms file - or settings file contains everything else including the sync settings, AD, DA and of course the state of the crosspoint matrix. Again, I prefer to auto-load my known, dated, working .dms but do not auto-save.

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-02-2020, 02:28 AM

Agree with Jeff on this.

I've got a couple of articles on using the MTRX and using MOM with it too.
It isn't a walk through in terms of how to set it up but it does cover the way I use it for music.
The great thing with the MTRX is how freely you can configure it.

I do autosave mine, because I am frequently changing input source assignments going directly to the monitors.
I keep a backup of a "known good" configuration though.

The articles are here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...y-to-avid-mtrx

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...erating-module

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 10-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Hey James, yeah I read your articles before purchasing. Thanks for putting yourself out there like that for the rest of the community.

I'm almost operational at this point. Seems odd that the routing tables need to be labeled manual in Dante controller, DADman, and then again in PT I/O. But that was not too terrible. But I could see myself making mistakes in the future easily if I don't remember to change all three for a quick patch.

My sticking point right now is the monitoring section. Now my iPad is spontaneously disappearing from the controller list. And when it is there, the sources don't appear across the top, but the speakers and outputs do show up. Then, I need to figure out how to get the TB rocking. Then I best get back to work!
Old 10-05-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Grade View Post
Hey James, yeah I read your articles before purchasing. Thanks for putting yourself out there like that for the rest of the community.

I'm almost operational at this point. Seems odd that the routing tables need to be labeled manual in Dante controller, DADman, and then again in PT I/O. But that was not too terrible. But I could see myself making mistakes in the future easily if I don't remember to change all three for a quick patch.

My sticking point right now is the monitoring section. Now my iPad is spontaneously disappearing from the controller list. And when it is there, the sources don't appear across the top, but the speakers and outputs do show up. Then, I need to figure out how to get the TB rocking. Then I best get back to work!
I'm pleased my articles helped.

How are you connecting your iPad to the network- over wifi, or a wired connection?
How far is the router from the iPad?

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 10-05-2020, 01:54 PM

It is wifi, same experience 5N or regular, Cisco access point in the room about 10 ft away. All newer Cisco routers that everything is connected to.

The funny thing is I have had the dock and iPad rocking just fine for 3 months now. This behavior is new from when I installed the HDX card.

I do have a dock I've been meaning to connect to the network to see if the latency on the meters would be better. I also have a 2018 iPad pro that I could try, but I really don't want to have that amazing machine be something as droll as a meter bridge. I grabbed an Amazon Fire, but it is too wide, so I want to try it with my S1 when that gets in.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:24 PM

I’ve had a similar experience with my dock over the past few weeks. It was working terrifically with my HDX system, but with the inclusion of an DAD DX-32R and DADman 5.3.4.2, it turned into a bit of a basket case. For quite a while Avid Control wouldn’t connect consistently. It seems to be ok now, but it has a lot of trouble populating the monitor section with the DADman settings. Sometimes it does... other times no dice.

It really should be made to work reliably through wifi.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.