Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Mbox wordclock sync?

I can't find any documentation on this. Since the SPDIF port carries wordclock, can the Mbox by synched with other devices such as CD burners which have wordclock inputs? Do I need a SYNC box from digi or something like Nanosyncs?
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 04-28-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Mbox wordclock sync?

Bump

OK, let me elaborate and hopefully someone smarter than me can weigh in:

I know that I can connect the Mbox to a Benchmark DAC-1 and set Pro Tools to sync to the Benchmark. What is unclear to me is whether or not there is a way to sync additional items such as a CD burner or digital EQ to the Benchmark's clock. Can s/pdif be daisy chained for clock sync??
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com
Old 04-28-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Mbox wordclock sync?

I'm confused on how the DAC-1 would sync up ProTools. Being a digital to analog converter, does it have digital outs, also? I know it has a complete selection of digital ins with XLR's and RCA's on the analog output side. If there's a digital out I can see how you could use the DAC's better clock.

You can daisy-chain a few s/pdif devices as long as the first is a well-clocked device connected via s/pdif to everything else (set to digital external clock and able to pass it on via s/pdif). Problem is, all the devices have to be on and properly set up for it to work.

The coolest set up is to have a master clock device with multiple digital outputs feeding each device, or wordclock (if usable) distributed to everything with ProTools synced to something via s/pdif.

MR