Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2019, 01:19 PM

Default Razer Deathadder mice

I'm looking at replacing the rodents on my daw Mac with a Razer Deathadder mainly for reliability reasons. I know mice have been talked about here ad nauseam but I have a different problem. From what I've seen on the Razer site they don't have current drivers for OSX 10.13.6 but do have what they call legacy drivers for that OSX. I've also found out perusing the net that the Mac drivers have had issues with crashing and such. Seems as Razer is more oriented towards PC's and not Macs.

I don't need a whole lot of buttons on the mouse. While I'd prefer a left handed mouse and they do have a lefty version they're out of stock from Razer and the only ones I've found are used ones via either Amazon or eBay and I'd rather not go eBay. The Logitech mouse I have while right handed fit me just fine lefthanded and it looks like the deathadder has the same form factor.

I'm tired of replacing my Logitech M500 corded mouse every year or so because it craps out on me with the computer and rodent refusing to communicate with each other.

I've tried vertical mice and they just didn't do the job for me with any degree of comfort. And for various reasons I want to stay with a wired mouse. Also I've started having comfort issues with the Kensington Expert Mouse (trackball) as well.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 10-27-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: removed extra spaces between paragraphs
Old 10-26-2019, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Razer Deathadder mice

I'm using a Logitech G300s here and its been solid for well over a year. Its also symmetrical so using it on the left should be fine. Never seen the Deathadder

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm using a Logitech G300s here and its been solid for well over a year. Its also symmetrical so using it on the left should be fine. Never seen the Deathadder
Sadly doesn't look like there's any support for Macs, at least from what I can find on the site. Besides I really don't need/want nine buttons.

QAPLA!
Old 10-27-2019, 10:26 AM

May want to try SteerMouse for whatever mouse you get.

I've read that it's equivalent to X-Mouse Button Control on PC, the best Windows mouse driver I've found. Wouldn't want to use my Logitech M500 without it. BTW, my mice usually last 3 years or more.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-27-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Sadly doesn't look like there's any support for Macs, at least from what I can find on the site. Besides I really don't need/want nine buttons.
I actually never installed the software and only use it as a standard(2 button) mouse

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-05-2019, 02:17 PM

After spending well over an hour last Sunday at the local Best Buy trying different mice in both the computer and gaming sections I went with the Razer Death Adder Elite. 7 buttons all told - the usual left/right buttons, a pair of buttons just in back of the scroll wheel, the scroll wheel also has a button function and a pair of buttons where one's thumb would go if you're working right handed. I work left handed and don't use those last two buttons. It's comfortable working either lefty or righty. The driver s/w (Razer's Synapse 2) took a little work to get it set up like I want but I'm loving it so far.

Everything else I tried didn't feel comfortable working lefty or the left/right 'normal' buttons were too soft acting (not stiff enough and would give false clicks). I lightly rest my middle and index fingers on the buttons so that is something I watch for so I don't get false clicks.

And it's wired and the switches are good for 50 million clicks (at least). I figured a gaming rodent would work good for my audio work.

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2019, 12:57 AM

Those are fine mice, but the buttons don't last long. I've had one and it started losing buttons functionality within 2-3 years. I did use it for gaming though so it might last you for longer if you only intend on using it for your audio work.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leifris View Post
Those are fine mice, but the buttons don't last long. I've had one and it started losing buttons functionality within 2-3 years. I did use it for gaming though so it might last you for longer if you only intend on using it for your audio work.
2 to 3 years life as a gaming mouse? That's damned decent if you ask me. I went with a gaming mouse because it's overbuilt compared to a regular mouse and should last me a while. and I won't be hammering it like a gamer would.

QAPLA!