Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2020, 03:36 AM

Default Studiologic SL88 Grand keyboard cobtroller

Looking for opinions/experiences with the Studiologic SL88 Grand (not the SL88 Studio) keyboard controller. Fatar-made keybed which is supposed to be aces. However I've read a few reviews where people have had issues after a while with sticking keys and noisy keys when the hammers return to rest.

A couple of people have found that the foam used to cushion the hammers breaks down over time and the hammers start to hit the metal rest making clunking noises. They say it's been happening after less than a year's worth of usage. The keyboards are resident in a studio and do not travel to gigs so it's not handling issues. Also several people have had issues with the display going funky after a while.

At $900 US it's not cheap and I want to do my due dilligence before purchasing. Both Sweetwater and B&H have warnings that there's a long lead time to get them from Studiologic.

I need to replace my long-suffering original Motif 7 because more and more keys are sticking that no matter how I fix them they start to stick again. Also several of the sliders are going intermittent. I don't need the sounds built into the synth as except for my Moog Voyage Rack Mount synth I'm all in the box for everything except for guitars. Want to have 88 keys if possible along with pitch bend & mod wheels but joysticks will due if that's all there is.

QAPLA!
Old 06-02-2020, 07:46 AM

Default Studiologic SL88 Grand keyboard cobtroller

I know you’re looking at Studiologic, but maybe consider the Roland A-88?

The action on mine is wonderful. I originally bought it to play out, but never did for a variety of reasons. I think they feel great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-02-2020, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Studiologic SL88 Grand keyboard cobtroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcharest View Post
I know you’re looking at Studiologic, but maybe consider the Roland A-88?

The action on mine is wonderful. I originally bought it to play out, but never did for a variety of reasons. I think they feel great

Nice try but you do know it's been discontinued right? Besides that I don't like what they have for mod wheel/pitch bend controller. And it's too long.I have a very limited space and the Studiologic fits in the same space my Motif 7 does.

Waiting to hear back from Sweetwater on the email I dropped them re my concerns about the failures. I did hear back from whoever is repping Studiologic here in the US and they don't have anything on a recall but do acknowledge there were issues with the initial release of the product.

QAPLA!
Old 06-02-2020, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Studiologic SL88 Grand keyboard cobtroller

Yes, I know it is longer being sold. I’ve seen some used on Reverb for a decent price.

No matter, if it doesn’t fit it’s a moot point.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Studiologic SL88 Grand keyboard controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcharest View Post
Yes, I know it is longer being sold. I’ve seen some used on Reverb for a decent price.

No matter, if it doesn’t fit it’s a moot point.

Would never buy a used keyboard - who knows how much it's been played and how it was treated. Still waiting to hear back from Sweetwater.

QAPLA!