Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2018, 03:54 AM

Default Troubleshooting is broken: AAE-9173, AAE 6 offers little help

AAE-9173 is driving me crazy. So is AAE 6.

With PT 2018.4 (but it was the same with earlier versions too) I can sometimes run a session for hours with no issue. Then the next day the damn thing crashes again and again running the exact same session. Nothing changed on the system from day one to day two. No new plugins added etc. No OS updates. Nothing.

Hey **** happens. We all wish it didn't, but it does. I think that the real issue is that when it does, we (the user) are left in utter complete darkness.

PT offers no insights into what really caused an error. The error codes are pretty much useless. If you Google for AAE 9173 you are off to a wild goose chase that mainly offers you stories of other people's pain and frustration. Just like this post - sorry about that.

In all humbleness I'm pretty good with computers. I know how to build them. I know how to troubleshoot them to the level of driver debugging and finding faulty hardware. Heck I even know how to program them. I would love to get access to some logs or stack-traces when PT crashes, then at least I would have some chance start to figure out what the root cause is. If someone knows better and can point me to something or some process for me to get more insights that the error codes, then please let me know. I'd love for someone to expose my potential ignorance here, so that I can start to learn more and hopefully one day figure out how to tune or fix the issues I'm having.

On the same PC that I use PT on, I also run Ableton Live 9 (now 10). Ableton never crashes on me. I run Studio One 3.5 too, which also never crashes. Some days PT crashes every 30-60 minutes. Sometimes I even have to start a session multiple time, just to get it up and running running.

Some of the typical advice out there is to disable Hyper-Threading, Turbo Boost and C-State. Well, Ableton and Studio One have no issue with those things. Also, my experience so far have been that PT is no more stable with those BIOS settings disabled. In fact, in my experience PT runs even worse when Turbo Boost, C-State, and Hyper-treading is disabled.

Also, what is the real issue here? In my view, PT should be able to handle modern CPU's and there default settings, n'est pas? I mean hyper-threading, C-State, Turbo boost etc. is nothing new. Please Avid, deal with it, so that we don't have to.

I admit I'm frustrated. When PT runs, its fantastic. I love the capabilities and work-flow for mixing. But d... it's frustrating to see it crash and know that for the next 10-15 minutes I’ll be doing nothing but ripping out my hairs out while waiting for the session to load and hoping that it loads at all. Session loading sometimes takes 10- 15 minutes! Other times it takes 5 minutes. It’s unpredictable – at least to me, as I have no idea what woodoo it will take to make it load fast and load without a new crash.

I really hope that someone from Avid is reading this. And while I hope, I am also trying not to hold my breath too long, since this pain have been going on for years.

https://soundcloud.com/1iveowl/

Pro Tools 2018.4, Windows 10 Pro x64 (w/ latest update), i9-7980XE, ASUS TUF X299 Mark II, 64 GB Memory, Samsung 850 2TB SSD, UAD Apollo Twin II TB, RME Fireface USB, UAD-2 Octo PCI, Plugins: UAD Waves, Softube, FabFilter, Lexicon, NI Komplete 11 Ult, Celemony, Slate Digital, PSP, Arturia V Collection 6, FXPansion, iZotope, SoundToys, Spectrasonics...

Last edited by jasperhb; 05-06-2018 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fixed some spelling and gramma
Old 05-07-2018, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Troubleshooting is broken: AAE-9173, AAE 6 offers little help

I am still on pt 12.7, but I have the cpu spikes that ruin the performance.
I tried the reccomended "remove all plugins from the plugin folder" and yes, it did help. But the cpu did the same movement, only less....
So when I added plugins, one by one, the cpu spikes are the same, but the plugins are adding and adding to the problem....

But a friand of mine use Studio 1 on a imac, and he could tell that they also have cpu spikes, so.....
What to do....