Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 AM

Default Hardware / rack effects with the Digidesign Rack 003

I currently use a Lexicon MX400 hardware reverb unit with my Rack 003.

I have this connected via spidf.

I understand that at recording time you could daisy chain multiple hardware effects units together,

eg:

mic -> preamp -> reverb -> compressor -> rack 003

Is it possible / how do you use hardware effects (multiple) on already recorded tracks, like "hardware inserts" with the rack 003.

eg: instead of adding a a software compressor, have a hardware compressor effect the recorded sound ?

I understand you can re-direct the recorded sound to different bus, but I can't see a way to direct through multiple hardware solutions ?

The pictures I see of peoples setups seem to suggest they are using hardware solutions with the rack 003, but I don't know.

thanks,
Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Avid

Default Re: Hardware / rack effects with the Digidesign Rack 003

All you should need to do is make sure the SPDIF IO is a valid path in your IO Setups>Inserts and then select it as an insert on the track you want to have go through the MX400.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 AM

thanks for the response,

I was actually requesting info on how/if it was possible to use more than one hardware effects device,

eg: if I said had

1.) hardware reverb unit
2.) hardware compressor
3.) noise gate
4.) something else

would it be possible to hook this up to the rack 003 for post recording editing / effects.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 AM

If I'm understanding you correctly, the issue would be more with the other "chained" effects having spdif or digital inputs/outputs that can follow in chain, your Lexicon. That signal path is a digital one.

If not you'll be utilizing the analog ins/outs. I guess you could use an external AD/DA to convert to analog, process, then return signal via the external AD/DA to digi.

Or, you would use the internal AD/DA to convert, route to one of the outs to analog effects and then return to Digi via inputs assigned to track. This would be a prime application for a properly configured patchbay that would allow you to easily chain or re-chain the outs, effects, and ins quickly and easily.

All of this is not so much a true insert path as much as it is just external processing and then recording effected track. If the initial channel to be effected is not assigned to your monitor mix and only the effected input is, it would function in that way for monitoring purposes. I'm not sure all of the additional AD/DA does the source recording justice and you would be needing to deal with the inherent delay compensation. Think, "re-amping" a guitar track that someone else played to get that tone from some pedals and your vintage , hot-rodded tube amp with the special mojo. It's like that process.

I'm going to go ahead and post my thoughts above, but I'm sure there's a better way. If you end up going through all the AD/DA conversions, etc, I'd tend to think doing some of this in the box would be much better end result quality unless your sitting with an unbelievable piece of vintage gear that just has to be used on the track. And if you've got something like that (I've got friends with some vintage compressors in their studio), then it may be worth it. But, some of my friends with things like that have got SSL consoles, HD3, etc. Not knocking our setups, it's just what I've seen as the wealth and gear is distributed.

Might be totally wrong in my thinking. Might not even have understood your question. I probably don't even make sense. I think I need to go get some sleep.
-Digi002
-ProTools 9
-OS 10.5.x
Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 AM

Patch Bay - really the easiest way to create hardware effects chains. Connect all of your I/Os to the patch bay including your Digi interface. Define inserts in your PT I/O setup and then use the patch bay to connect/chain the effects to those inserts. You can use your S/PDIF insert also either ahead or behind the analog insert(s) and/or use the MX400 analog I/O. Just get a good TRS patch bay that does normal/half normal/thru. The one like the Behringer Ultra patch and others that do more than those three modes work against you. Samson makes a good one that allows you to set the config from the front panel.

This also allows you the flexability to patch your effects units and use them in a bussing configuration. Mix and match . Easier to use on the recording side also.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Darcy View Post
thanks for the response,

I was actually requesting info on how/if it was possible to use more than one hardware effects device,

eg: if I said had

1.) hardware reverb unit
2.) hardware compressor
3.) noise gate
4.) something else

would it be possible to hook this up to the rack 003 for post recording editing / effects.

Absolutely - use the same method I describe above. Use the same output and input pair from the 003 to go into/out from your external device.

For instance:

003 output 5/6 to input on hardware reverb>output of hardware reverb back to input 5/6 on the 003. To insert the reverb on a track (or an an aux for send/return processing), just select in it's inserts 'i/o - 5/6' (or whatever your 5/6 output/input path is labelled in IO Setups>Inserts).

You can put any number of devices in the chain, such a a separate compressor and eq - just chain the output of the first device into the input on the second then the output of the second (or last device) back to the input on the 003.

Does that help?
Old 05-21-2009, 06:48 AM

fantastic information,

I'm going to lose some recording inputs, but I can handle losing two inputs, if I can chain effects together like this.

I'll need to do much more research on this, but what you are saying make sense.

thanks, !