Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-09-2003, 06:38 AM

Default G5 decision

Ok digi i know you are working hard at a release BUT we are at a bit of a cross road, I would of course by a g5 as long as i know when support is likely problem is we dont know. There tons of refurb deals on the old g4's but if say you can let us knwo when your beta is likely to be complete and when 6.2 will be released support g5's. Ok i know logic have had an advantage on this fornt but please is it likely to happen this year if not when next year.

Cheers
Old 09-09-2003, 06:47 AM

Default Re: G5 decision

Hi mate, im at the same problem as you, Im waiting on the patch I think, I dont think it will be long. Getting a dual G4 will be a backward step I feel.

So there you go.

Stu G
Old 09-09-2003, 12:07 PM

I'd be interested to see a dual 1.25 G4 up against the [single] 1.6 G5 running PT 6.x, since it supports dual processors. My guess is that the G5 would still be faster, but maybe not by that much. Hopefully when Digi releases the update for G5, we'll start to see this kind of benchmarking.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:50 PM

Wait:
By the time Digi releases a Panther 64 bit version Of Protools you will ba able to buy a Dual 3 Gig for todays Dual 2 gig price.
Not much advantage to a G5 until that happens.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:09 PM

In the Mac PTLE section, there is an excellent post by Kenn LeGault, Director of Software Engineering at Digidesign, regarding the status of G5 testing:

Re: Will Digidesign recompile ProTools LE for the G5?

Quote:
I'll try to answer some specific questions/concerns posted on this thread regarding Pro Tools software running on the new Apple Power Mac G5 computers...

Apple and Digidesign engineering teams have been in close contact regarding G5 & Pro Tools compatibility issues. We were one of the first companies to "beta test" the new G5s, and we provided valuable feedback to Apple regarding compatibility and performance. Apple recognizes that Digidesign hardware/software products "push the limits" of their systems, so we're a good test environment.

Some necessary changes were made to OSX concurrent with the G5 release that unfortunately "broke" compatibility with the shipping versions of Pro Tools software. These OS changes impacted some memory management code in our kernel extensions. We've been hard at work during the past several months to resolve these issues as well as some other minor problems we found during early testing.

I'm happy to report that great progress has been made -- the initial incompatibilites have been resolved, and Pro Tools is currently running quite well on the G5 in our labs. But before we can release new versions of Pro Tools with G5 support, there is some more work to be done...

As you know, Digidesign has several different hardware and software products, and we are an "audio platform" for many 3rd-party plug-ins and applications. We are currently in the middle of exhaustive compatibility tests and performance tuning with the G5 to make sure that Digidesign systems are stable, robust, and high-performance. We've seen some great improvements running Pro Tools on a G5 relative to a G4. The faster/wider memory bus, faster CPU, and dual floating point units make a big difference.

While it's true that the G5 can access more memory on a system-wide basis than the G4 could, each individual application is "limited" to just a 32-bit address space (or 4 GB). Regardless, Pro Tools itself won't really run any better once you've got more than about 512 MB of RAM, except of course if you're running multiple applications at the same time. Having more memory will allow OSX to keep all of your application's data & code "paged in" and will reduce the amount of reads/writes to the disk for virtual memory paging (which can slow down your applications).

Please stay tuned to the announcement areas on the Digidesign web site for late-breaking news on G5 support. We hope to release updates to Pro Tools and Pro Tools LE software in the very near future, and I'm sure you'll be impressed with how Pro Tools performs on the new G5 systems.

Best Regards,
Kenn

Mark