Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 AM

Default AJA IO HD Pro Tools Timecode Problem

Hello from Germany.
please excuse my english. I have a Problem which I try to explain:

After my Media100 Card gave up and I couldn`t get a Replace (to old),
I turned to Final Cut Studio 2 and an AJA IO HD. My main Job is Dubbing so i get my work in different ways. I get Betacam SP, Digibeta, or DV Cam or I have to download an Mpeg 2 File from Clients Server. When i work the old Way with Tape, i capture the Files from Tape with AJA IO HD into Final Cut Pro using the Video Track in a DV PAL Format with 50% Quality (Enough for the Job). For Audio I capture the Original Sound on Channel 1 and the Timecode Signal to Channel 2. I do this on a Mac G5 2,7DP. From there i connect the LTC Timecode from Audio Channel 2 with the LTC Input to Sync IO to let my Pro Tools HD2 Accel (on a Mac G5 2,3DP) run in Slave Mode. This works fine. But when i change Client`s Mpeg 2 into DV Pal and import in in Final Cut Pro to make a Sequenz out of it, I take the Time Code from the Timecode out of the AJA and connect it with the Sync IO. The Display of the Sync IO shows exactly the corect Timecode but the Pro Tools Timeline does not move. (I know, i have to put my Session in Sync Mode) I have checked the incoming Signal on an Audio Mixer and i heard the typical Timecode Noise. I have no explanation for this. To avoid this Problem i would have to Master the Movies to Tape and capture them again the Way I described above, But this is more than four Hours Time for each Movie.

I hope I didn`confuse you, but i found no other way ti describe the Problem

Thank you
Old 11-12-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Re: AJA IO HD Pro Tools Timecode Problem

Have a look in your session setup. In your timecode window check to see if your time code generator settings "Using SYNC" if checked. If it is uncheck it and see if that works.

All the best

Paul McFadden
Supervising Sound Editor
Doctor Who

www.bangpostproduction.com
Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM

Thank You Paul,

No, the Generator is not checked. When Sync IO gets a Timecode Signal from Betacam SP, or from Betacam capture to an Audio Track in FCP, it works fine. The Sync IO displays the incoming Timecode and the Timeline runs with the Timcode. When I connect with the AJA IO HD Timecode out, the Display of Sync IO shows the incoming Timecode, but the Timeline remains still. Maybe there is something wrong with the AJA.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 AM

Do you have PT "online"? (command-j)
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash