Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Virtual Sound Check - PT LE & Firewire

Hi Guys,

Have been recording via firewire a number of the bands i work with and would ideally like to be able to do a virtual sound check. Now i have seen various threads relating to this, some indicating that a full virtual sound check is not possible, other than the level differences need to be taken into account.

If someone could tell me the best way to go about this and setup the console for this i would really appreciate it. If its possible to to use scene recall to change the patch to enable / disable firewire inputs. Which metering setup to use and what the limits / limitations of this setup is.

Also am tempted with going the MADI route however my new MAC doesn't have a PCI Express Card slot so not sure what options are open to me and whether there are any issues with a MADI virtual sound check.

Thanks

SJ
Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Virtual Sound Check - PT LE & Firewire

VSC is accomplished through a ProTools HD system. Granted, with a PT LE configuration, you can route your tracks (up to 18) back through your console, but you will have to soft-patch them in the patch bay to get signal from the FWx card. Therefore, LE does not really do VSC as it was intended. Remember that your gains will change since you are not controlling the mic pre's of the input card. Sure, you can play with EQ's, Effects, routing....etc. But you will actually have to use the actual mic's to set your gains.

Yes, you may setup a snapshot to recall patching either way. How you would do this is to first ensure the patch is the way you want it for live mixing (first example). Goto the Snapshots tab. Click New. Select the channels in which you want to be included in the snapshot and click "In" in the scope section is the only one selected. Unclick "Fader," "Mute," or any other scope options that are selected. When active they should be red, inactive they would be gray. Click "Update" and name the snapshot accordingly. Do this process for the alternate setup you desire.

I would also recommend removing these snapshot while you are in a show to prevent an accidental change if you recall the snapshot by accident.

Metering...I prefer to use "Peak Ballistics" on the console. I think "RMS Ballistics" are more relevant to the level meters in ProTools. But...it is all up to the end user, and what they prefer to see on the console.

Is your new Mac a Mac Pro? VSC works great via MADI, in order to use Madi...you need ProTools HD, madi option card, MADI HD Interface and at least one HDx card; two in order to get all 48 inputs and 16 assignables. If you have a Profile or D-Show, I'd recommend if anything you going with an HDx setup, it is a more simple process.

I hope this helps you ou a little bit.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 09-17-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
Is your new Mac a Mac Pro? VSC works great via MADI, in order to use Madi...you need ProTools HD, madi option card, MADI HD Interface and at least one HDx card; two in order to get all 48 inputs and 16 assignables. If you have a Profile or D-Show, I'd recommend if anything you going with an HDx setup, it is a more simple process...
Ken, my understanding is if you use the Madi card you are free to use any Madi compatible recording system for up to 64 tracks per card, 2 cards max... you shouldn't have to use any HDx cards or Pro Tools HD. Am I wrong? Here is a summary from the Avid site: "Bring your VENUE live sound workflow to any MADI (Multichannel Audio Digital Interface) environment. With each VENUE MADI Option Card, you can send up to 64 channels of audio from your VENUE system to other MADI devices—including routers, digital mixing consoles, and mobile recording setups—and vice-versa. Simply install the card into your system’s FOH Rack or Mix Rack to bring industry-standard MADI connectivity to VENUE."

Any experts want to chime in on the requirements, options, benefits, pitfalls of using Madi for virtual soundchecks etc? Now would be a great time to tell me about snags... as I'm about to try to order a rig if I can get it shipped in time...thanks,
denny
Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Denny:

You are correct. My mistake there...the solution I gave was just for PT. Guess I should have specified =)

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |