Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-28-2006, 12:36 AM

Default dynamics

7 years green...

I could be out of my mind, but bare with me here...
Here is an example of what I'm experiencing -

A) I patch my bass through a vt737 line out to a speaker - it's quick to respond and the dynamics feel natural.

B) I move the patch from the speaker to an input on my 192 - the sound seems to respond slower;like the attack got mushed and disappeared + the difference in attack 451e vs. ribbon; that kind of compression. My dynamic range gets cut by 25%.

I'm hitting pt as hard as possible without clippage (not slamming it)- space seems limited in the reagon - it just seems like there's not enough room there... I've been able to work around the issue by tracking less pressure to the 192 and maximizing the force in my mix. Patching in outboard compressors brought life back too - but it wasn't what I was looking for; I'm looking for wide open dynamics.

Are we talking about "head-room"? I'm maxed out @ +12... I have no board (remember the song "i have no legs..."..lol)... is that "the box"?
Any thoughts?
Thanks for making sense of all this...
Nick

TDMHD6.9.2OSXProContol192BigBenSycioMidiSport2x2Ko rg
Old 03-28-2006, 01:41 AM

Default Re: dynamics

Why don't you record it with a microphone, if everything you hear feels "perfect"?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:07 AM

Is the 192´s soft limit engaged?

Peter
Old 03-28-2006, 05:09 AM

Quote:
I'm hitting pt as hard as possible without clippage (not slamming it)- space seems limited in the reagon - it just seems like there's not enough room there...
This is wrong. Track with peaks around 0dbVU, which is much further down your meter. Do a search on this topic, its been covered to death.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:33 AM

search "____"?
still looking - I see your point tracking further down - but I'm still missing space... No on the soft clip - Out of the front end (wide open) in 192- is it the "in the box" thing? - I'm feeling like I did with the 888/24 - in a box... I'll do my own homework, just point me somewhere...
Thanks 100x

search "____"?
still looking - I see your point tracking further down - but I'm still missing space... No on the soft clip - Out of the front end (wide open) in 192- is it the "in the box" thing? - I'm feeling like I did with the 888/24 - in a box... I'll do my own homework, just point me somewhere...
Thanks 100x

search "____"?
Thanks 100x

search "____"?
Thanks 100x
Old 03-30-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
7 years green...
Are we talking about "head-room"? I'm maxed out @ +12... I have no board (remember the song "i have no legs..."..lol)... is that "the box"?
Any thoughts?
Thanks for making sense of all this...
Nick

Quote:

PTUser NYC:
The last piece of advice I'd give is this:

Setting your levels correctly is the best way to get a great sound out of Pro Tools. Remembering that the stuff to worry about happens way down below -140dbFS, so recording hot to lower the noise is ridiculous.

Your converter has a setting that determines where 0dbVU shows up. That means a tone at 0db on a VU meter, equals some lower point on your converter. usually this is somkewhere around -18dbFS (-18 db below Full Scale, or the top of the meter). I calibrated mine to -14, but wherever it is, you need to know it. If you have a mic preamp that sounds sweet getting a good level (around 0dbVU) when recording into a Studer, WHY would you turn that same mic preamp up 18 db, just to get a hot signal on the Pro Tools meter? That would certainly add a lot of distortion, which accounts for most of the complaints about the "sound of Pro Tools".

So get a Mix rig, a good converter, and record your levels around 0dbVU, not the top of the meter.

Your mixes will breathe and your plug ins will sound MUCH MUICH better with all that headroom. The only downside is that thefinal mix will also be low on the meters, which sounds fine, until you make a 16 bit copy, and try to play it in your CD player.

I just put a compressor over the Master Fader (I use the Rennaisance) set to do mostly nothing, and I use the output gain to raise thelevel of the entire mix until i am just below Full Scale on the meter.

That way, when I print my mix, I have a nice loud level just like everyone else, but my mix had headroom, and no clipping, all the way through.

Yep, headroom.. there was it..

http://www.mmvstudios.com