Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 PM

Default MIDI I/O Intermittent connection to Pro Tools

Hi, I replied to a post about this in the MIDI section but thought I would post it here as well, since it seems to be a software issue.

Basically, the MIDI I/O interface only works intermittently with Pro Tools 10.3.4. When I have a track on MIDI input, it only randomly picks up about half the notes played, and notes get stuck because it isn't seeing the Note Off command sometimes.

The thing that's most annoying is that the MIDI I/O works fine in standalone mode, when Pro Tools isn't running. As soon as I quit Pro Tools, the problem goes away. As soon as I launch Pro Tools though, the problem starts.

I've tried everything: trashed prefs, installed current driver, updated firmware. AMS sees the MIDI I/O just fine.

Anyone else having the same problem? I find it hard to believe I'd be the only one, since I have a pretty stock rig and I'm not doing anything fancy, MIDI-wise. I'm running PT 10.3.4 on OS X 10.7.5. I suppose I could pony up for a new interface, but I'd hate to buy one only to find out that it's a general Pro Tools/OS/MIDI issue or something like that.

As of now I can't use controllers that I badly need to use. Any help is much appreciated!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM

Default Re: MIDI I/O Intermittent connection to Pro Tools

subscribed
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 04-22-2013, 03:37 PM

No help from me, but I'm definitely having MIDI IO problems.........

I just updated to PT 10.3.4 from 9.0.x and MIDI IO is not online. Firmware Updater finds it on the second try and it is (I believe) updated to 2.0. Installed MIDI IO Driver. MIDI IO Setup does not see the device !! Audio MIDI Setup does not see the device! Prefs trashed...........

Glad I used a new HD for the new OS and install - so I can switch BUT - really would rather use PT 10 for a minute.

PT HD3 / 192 / SYNC HD / MIDI / Mac Pro 12 Core 3.06GHz 64GB / OSX 10.8.3 / PT 10.3.4
Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 PM

B.u.m.p.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 PM

Niner - thanks for the reply. Midi worked fine from a USB keyboard. I have many older synths (both rack and keyboards) that I need from time to time, hence the need to get the MIDI IO on-line.

I decided to reinstall OSX 10.8.3 (COMBO - not the update from the app store) and Bingo - it's alive.

All is right in the world............for the moment ! lol

mp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
You sound like an experienced user so perhaps these ideas are irrelevant.

If your keyboard has a USB out you might try that directly. I recently went with USB, kicking and screaming, but it's worked out. No timing problems or choking data streams. I'm only running one controller tho'.
No more AMS, the controller shows up as an "midi" input device from within PT9.
I had terrible problems with AMS correctly seeing and handling several new MIDI devices recently, and wonder if it's perhaps no longer recognizing certain newer commands or MIDI implementations. Good riddance I say.

Other than that, check the MIDI THRU and "local off" status on your keyboard, check the "MIDI thru" within PT is set correctly relative to those keyboard settings, and your set up. Incorrect settings there can produce results similar to what you report. Some manufacturers dropped a MIDI THRU port and made "THRU" a selectable option from the MIDI OUT port.
You might want to explore those options in your controller.

Last, you might try Apple's remote restore service... or whatever they call it. Perhaps there is some broken file or pref it could fix very quickly.