Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-10-2010, 04:25 AM

Default .DTS-HD to bluray?

Hello
I have had to purchase DTS-HD Master Suite to encode a 7.1 mix to a .dtshd file.
My question is - how do I now get this .dtshd file onto a Bluray disc without spending literally thousands of pounds on Sony Blu-Print or Scenarist??
Do I need to include the .dtshd as part of a video file? If I do then how? Avid Media Composer does not seem to handle .dtshd files...
Can bluray just play audio only? I have searched high and low for the answers to these questions but cannot for the life of me find the answer.
To summarise - I want 7.1 channels of audio on a bluray disc for an audio art installation and I have got as far as the DTS-HD encoding part.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Default Re: .DTS-HD to bluray?

I gave you a thorough explanation to this in your previous thread. Somehow, you seem to not be grasping the truth. BTW, all of the information below is easily found online. So, like, RTFM, so to speak.

You need access to Scenarist, Blu-Print, DoStudio, etc. to encode a DTS-HD(MA) file to a BD.

The low-end (cheap) authoring tools are NOT capable of achieving what you're trying to do. The only inexpensive option to supports anything better than AC3 is Sonic DVDit Pro HD, which can encode multichannel PCM to BD in the latest release (but not lossless DTS or Dolby codecs). But even that product is $500 USD.

BD Profile 3.0 permits audio-only Blu-rays, but again, you can't just whip this up in Final Cut or Media Composer, nor in Sonic DVDit.

It's like you've acquired a car engine, and now you're saying, "how do I put this into a car and get it to spin the wheels?!?!?"

You need assistance from a professional with access to professional tools.

Find a BD authoring house and pay them to do what you want.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 PM

As we speak, the only 3 apps available commercially for BD authoring that follows the strict BD specs are the ones mentionned by hummerz ( Scenarist, Blu-Print and DoStudio ).
If you need a professional Blu-ray authored and, especially, if it goes to replication, don't even bother with the cheaper consumer products. You'll be waisting your time and $$.
I freelance authoring on Scenarist and own a DoStudio system. They are great system that WORK, but it's not something you can learn overnight, again as suggested by HummerZ, get some professional help :)
Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 AM

Ok thank you for the replies. I have now 'grasped the truth'.
Of course, before posting anything here I have 'RTFM' and looked at lots and lots of web information on the subject but sometimes you just need all that (often conflicting) information clarified by someone in the know (such as yourselves) that can respond to a question personally.
By reposting a thread similar to the one before I was hoping (in the spirit of a forum such as this) to spark some discussion and suggestions about 7.1 multichannel audio...
I do appreciate the replies and they have given me a final and definitive answer about the bluray route so again, thank you.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:00 AM

slip65,

If you simply need to playback 7.1 files for an installation. It's very simple, you provide the post house ( whoever is authoring your Blu-ray ) with your raw audio files or if you own DTS-HD master audio then you simply give them the DTS encode file.
Depending on which authoring app you're using, you might need a video but this can simply be done by adding a black tiff.
I also use DTS-HD MasterAudio and it's a great app, works great with Scenarist and DoStudio. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummerZ View Post
The low-end (cheap) authoring tools are NOT capable of achieving what you're trying to do. The only inexpensive option to supports anything better than AC3 is Sonic DVDit Pro HD, which can encode multichannel PCM to BD in the latest release (but not lossless DTS or Dolby codecs). But even that product is $500 USD.

Has anyone here actually done this? I bought it some time ago and found out that there were some severe problems. I gave up on it, but if someone has actually gotten that to work, I would go back, dredge up my copy and try again.

After searching, I found this:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...l=multichannel

Even though the message is from 2008, I believe the version 6.4 from that era is still the one they are shipping...at least that's what I could glean from their forums. It hasn't been answered and neither has this one:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...l=multichannel

That's from Feb. 2010, so I'm all ears if anyone has actually gotten it to work (and I might add...what's the trick?).
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 AM

Hi KK, out of curiosity, did you finally manage to make DVDit author multichannel PCM on Bluray?

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryd View Post
Hi KK, out of curiosity, did you finally manage to make DVDit author multichannel PCM on Bluray?

Greetings,

Thierry
No, because it felt so good when I quit banging my head against that $499 wall.
Here are some late thoughts on the subject:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=155731

BTW, if you go with netblender, be aware that DO Studio wants the files in the following order: L, R, C, Ls, Rs, LFE (the DTS format). Why can't everyone just use SMPTE/ITU?
www.tnfilmlocations.com