Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 PM

Default never had to deal with latency issues

I guess when I started with pt 7 mpowered and the maudio interface, I started wiring everything differently, and have never had to deal with latency issues if I play it right in the pt daw. Today I have PT 12.6 and a PreSonus StudioLive AR12 USB interface. I wire it up the same and have no latency issues.

The output playback goes through the interface and out a channel on my PreSonus board I've labeled 'playback'. My mic goes from my pre73 into a comp3a and into a random channel on the PreSonus. I eq the signal a little and direct it as a monitor send and then run that monitor signal into another channel, usually no 1, where it goes into the daw. The sound a vocalist, for example will hear, is his vocal through the board (not from going to the daw and back through the playback) and the playback media that's already been recorded coming through the playback channel. When I use 'input' or 'record' buttons on the pt track, I also use the mute button in the daw. This mute keeps the signal from coming back through the playback and creating latency with the channel 1 direct output.

The only trick for me is when someone wants to punch in. I unmute that pt track so they can hear the previously recorded material, and quickly mute it while they punch in during the punch in selection, so that they don't hear latency while they sing.

So it's an extra button to click, but no latency issues!
Golden Age Project Pre-73 JR
Warm Audio WA12 MKII Preamp
Glyph 1TB GPT50 external drive - Firewire
LaCie 1TB external drive - USB
JBL LSR305 monitors

AT 2020 & 2021
Equation F.20 condenser mic
Old 01-26-2019, 05:49 PM

Default Re: never had to deal with latency issues

What's your buffer setting? Set it to 64 and monitor from the session(instead of the console) I've not used the Presonus, but my older setup with DIGI003 never had any latency issue as long as I did 2 things:
1-set the buffer to 64 for tracking(any modern computer should handle this within reason)

2-avoid tracking with high-latency plugins(very easy to do)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave