Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM

Default Running PT 10 with HD cards

So here's my situations:

I've got PT10 that I'm running on my MacBook Pro, everything is great, I just got a Mac Pro Tower for dirt cheap and I'm thinking of buying a PCIe HD system since they're going fairly cheap now. All of the cards I'm seeing for sale don't make mention of what Pro Tools they come with, or come with an older version of HD.

1) is it possible to sell an HD card without the PT license? Why/how would that happen other than the obvious illegal/pawn possibilities?

2) If I were to buy a card that didn't come with a license would I be able to run my PT10 and still take advantage of the low latency recording? I don't care a ton about the TDM plugins because my 10 seems to be a little more powerful than the HD2s I use in a lot of studios...
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Running PT 10 with HD cards

You specifically need an HD license, or Protools won't even recognize the card and interface.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Running PT 10 with HD cards

You will need to ask for a transfer of ownership and the hd license (Depending on version you may need to upgrade if 10 is where you want to be.)
However you'll loose the largest delay compensation (16K) and have to stay at (4K).
No great advantage in my opinion Vs. Saving a bit more for a native HD card/license.

V10HD3 is still a powerful and solid working system. Your just locked into holding at the prescribed OS and legacy versions of plug-ins