Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 02-07-2017, 07:44 AM

Default EuCon extreme CPU usage even when idle!

Hi all,

Since updating to Sierra and Econ 3.4/3.5, the moment Eucon is launched (even without Pro Tools running) it hogs CPU usage - ranging from around 50% to over 100% in Activity monitor. This pushes my Computer fans to their max output, which is of course frustrating when trying to mix or compose. Ridiculous.

The moment Eucon is terminated, everything resolves back to normal. I have replicated this with Econ 3.4 and 3.5, running Pro Tools 12.5, 12.6 and 12.7.

macOS Sierra 10.12.2
Pro Tools 12.7
Eucon 3.5
3.1Ghz, i7, 16GB RAM MacBook Pro 2015

Old 03-02-2017, 09:13 AM

Default Re: EuCon extreme CPU usage even hen idle!

Hi there,

I'm having the exact same issue with the same setup on both Mavericks and Sierra, and we don't seem to be the only ones.

I found this at the Avid Knowledge Page: "Pro Tools and EuControl are designed to take full advantage of processor capabilities, and it is normal for a MacBook Pro fan to be running when the CPU or GPU are being taxed. The Mac OS does include settings for laptop GPU switching (Settings > Energy Saver > Automatic Graphics Switching), and forcing the computer to stay on the more battery-efficient internal GPU will reduce the need for the fan. Be aware that this setting will also reduce the available CPU power for Pro Tools and other applications."

But these changes of course don't work.

I've just opened a case at Avid Support, cause I don't believe the Eucontrol software can be so CPU demanding. I hope to hear from them soon and will let you know!

Cheers,
Klaas
Old 03-03-2017, 09:01 AM

Hi there again,

I just got a reply from Avid Support

"It is, in fact, a known issue at the moment and is currently in the hands of our developers. I will associate your case to the issue logged in our database, which will increase this issue's visibility among our developers. If any changes are made or solutions provided, I will personally update you on this matter.

As a workaround, if using a second screen, please disconnect it and let me know if this has helped resolve the issue for you."

Well, I've tested this and it seems to reduce the problem quite a bit. Are you using a second screen as well?

Cheers,
Klaas
Old 03-04-2017, 04:25 PM

Hi Klaasm

Thanks for you reply. Immediately after posting this thread I realized unplugging my external monitor stopped the issue. so I began speaking with avid customer service , which went on for a few days. I ended up doing some tests for them:

1. External Thunderbolt Display connected:

EuCon CPU % goes way up. It hits over 100%, then cycles down to around 20% over the next 20 - 30 seconds, before spiking up again to 90-110%. It repeats this process again and  again. (Screenshots attached).

2. HDMI Display connected:

Exactly the same as Thunderbolt display. Issue still persists.

3. Different resolutions do not change this behavior at all. Issue still persists.

4. Closing all full screen apps (in fact no apps open at all - just desktop) does not affect behavior at all. Issue still persists.

5. NO external display connected:

EuCon.process hovers around 2 - 4% usage.

They told me they have logged it as a bug (reference GWSW-10515) so hopefully it will be fixed soon! Thanks again for you reply.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. And yes, unfortunately both hdmi and mini display are causing the same level of cpu usage, otherwise it would have been a reasonable workaround.

So, in the meanwhile we're convicted to our retina screens and hopefully the next Eucon update will solve this problem...

Cheers,
Klaas
Old 03-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Avid

We found the cause and it will be fixed in the upcoming release.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post

I am absolutely impressed with the recent support and interaction with the forum Eddie. I understand somethings may not be as quick and there is still a cadence to releases, regardless, Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-13-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Just found out this was the cause of the fans going crazy on my rMBP, thanks to a thread on the Pro Tools Expert website. Perhaps you could comment there with the fantastic news about the next release?

I was about to go back down to Yosemite! Do you have a rough ETA on the next version?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:35 AM

fantastic feedback and thanks to avid support & pro tools expert. i was going to purchase a S3 and will postpone this. i've uninstalled EuCon now completely (/Applications/Euphonix).

this issue was driving me nuts during the project completed last weekend. i'm on a trashcan and couldn't imagine, that it is running out of ressources.

disabling sierra's eye candy improved the performance dramatically as well (system preferences > accessibility > display, uncheck reduce motion, reduce transparency; system preferences > dock, disable effects and so on...).

macOS ... what the hell, apple. come on!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Just found out this was the cause of the fans going crazy on my rMBP, thanks to a thread on the Pro Tools Expert website. Perhaps you could comment there with the fantastic news about the next release?

I was about to go back down to Yosemite! Do you have a rough ETA on the next version?
Hopefully soon (April) Do you have the link to the thread on PTE ?
Thanks Eddie