Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 PM

Default PT 8, Satellite Link and PD-1 Issues

This is a cross-post from the gearslutz forum. Hopefully someone between the two will be able to assist.

We own a CB PD-1, which we use as a Pec/Direct box on our main theater. Previously, the PD-1 was controlled via a JSK 9 pin system, which also was used to drive the four (Three Mix stations and one Stem recorder)Pro Tools systems (runningPT v. 7.3.1) via 9-pin and Machine Control software. This worked well, but was a bit clunky.

This past week, we upgraded to ProTools 8 and the Satellite link software, which allows us to control all four systems via Cat 5 cable. We are still using the PD-1 in this setup. However, we have some problems with it.

We have been able to get the PD-1 to trigger the record and input tracks as long as the Stem recorder is Online. Doing this however prevents Satellite Link from working. Taking the stem recorder 'off-line' allows the Satellite Link software to function, but the PD-1 won't trigger the record tracks. (The input still works this way).

What am I missing? Is there a secret to getting this to work with this setup?

Randall
Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Default Re: PT 8, Satellite Link and PD-1 Issues

Hey -We found some set up info on the CB website that helped set us up the unit. -Something is off with your set up because it should work great with and with out satellite.

There was a preference for remote arming tracks that needed to be selected, and you needed to use the bottom 9pin remote selector window in the peripherals set up area of ProTools.

Sorry haven't helped much -hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Bruno
Old 08-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

The preference you are looking for is in the Preferences dialog -> Synchronization pane -> Remote Mode settings.

There's a preference that says something like "Allow tracks to arm when in local mode" or something like that.

Make sure that is enabled.

This will allow PT to be in full Satellite Link mode and be able to be armed by the PD-1.

Please post back if you are still having problems and I can probably help you.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 AM

Thank you both for responding.. I have set that preference. I think that the problem I have is that the 9 pin is going from the Stem recorder, through a Keyspan USA-28x to a JSK unit (which under pt 7 drove all 4 machines) and finally to the PD-1. My guess is that the JSK is causing the issues and needs to be bypassed.

Randall
Old 08-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Thank you both for responding.. I have set that preference. I think that the problem I have is that the 9 pin is going from the Stem recorder, through a Keyspan USA-28x to a JSK unit (which under pt 7 drove all 4 machines) and finally to the PD-1. My guess is that the JSK is causing the issues and needs to be bypassed.

Randall
You can have only one Master. Loose the JSK. You won't miss it.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:53 AM

Thanks All,
We removed the JSK on Friday and everything fired right up. In fact, the PD-1 works better now than it did previously.

Thanks Again Everyone,
Randall