Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2002, 09:24 PM

Default 5.3.3 zip file is corrupt.

I've had the MBox since Christmas Eve. I'm A-plus certified and I still can't get it up and running. I certainly wasn't pleased to find my last post discussion thread closed by the administrator because A DIALOGUE might have uncovered some additional information before I made the purchase. I'm going to give the MBox the rest of the evening and then it's going back to West LA music if it's not working. Here are my main issues.

1. The device that I brought home is native to the Mac. Gee, I wonder why no one told me about this. I had to download software, plug-in updates, all manuals and documentation. The fact that the box contained NOTHING for my system beyond the MBox itself isn't really the problem. But my new Dell PC with WinXP Pro Service pac 1 won't recognize the device. The little pretty lights light up but Plug 'n Play doesn't even know the device is there. My experience tells me that this is going to CONTINUE to be a buggy nightmare.

2. I downloaded 5.3.3 yesterday and the .exe is corrupt. So I downloaded it again today and it's still corrupt. Not that it would make a big diff at this point since my machine won't even recognize the new hardware but maybe if I had an uncorrupted file I could install the software and maybe get the hardware working. BUGGY!

I think this box is going back unless I can get it to run in the next couple of hours. I'm going to check out the 001 and see if the situation is the same. I guess it couldn't be if it's attached to a PCI card. So tell me DigiDesign, does the 001 come with Windows software and manuals?

If this is all to negative for your company website please feel free to email me at

[email protected]

Here's the corrupt download.

http://www.digidesign.com/download/5...e/download.cfm
Old 12-26-2002, 11:59 PM

Default Re: 5.3.3 zip file is corrupt.

"my last post discussion thread closed by the administrator because..."

Your post was closed because you posted it, as you did this, to the TDM section of the DUC. The hardware is completely different, as is the software (although it looks and operates nearly identically, it is a different version), and so we TDM users have no experience or knowledge about the Mbox or the LE software. I have never seen these guys shut a thread down to avoid controversy, but they do have a policy of keeping the questions for different hardware/software/platforms in separate forums. Post the note on the 'LE for Windows' section of the DUC, and you have a chance of getting answers from users who are familiar with what you have.

"...going back to West LA music if it's not working. Here are my main issues... 1. The device that I brought home is native to the Mac..."

I would hope that anyone selling this stuff should know to ask what kind of computer you were using, to make sure it meets spec - I consider that part of the job of someone selling ANY software or computer hardware. If the store didn't ask, they are not doing their job. If they did ask, and then knowingly (as opposed to accidentally) gave you a package that was not suitable for your situation, then they're jerks... but there's a lot of room for misunderstandings and errors. In any case, they should give you a current model (with new software) or a refund - if they don't, complain to the local Better Business Bureau and to Digidesign.

"I downloaded 5.3.3 yesterday and the .exe is corrupt..."

I downloaded 5.3.3 (but the TDM version, I would guess the LE version is also ok - see, that's why it helps to post to the right forum), and it worked fine. BUT: the download page warns about the large file size (70MB or so, as I remember), and the likely failure of a download on a phone modem. Mine failed twice (although the procedure left a file on my hard drive, it was incomplete, and would appear to be, as you say, corrupted). I got a friend with a high speed connection to download it for me, and I had no troubles.

"...Not that it would make a big diff at this point since my machine won't even recognize the new hardware but maybe if I had an uncorrupted file I could install the software and maybe get the hardware working..."

In TDM, one doesn't work without the other, and I think that is true for the LE systems also. I don't know the Mbox install process, (they should on the LE forum), but if I am right, even if the system recognizes the MBox, it won't be accessible by anything except the LE software, and IF you were sold an older hardware version that will not work in a Windows machine, the software wouldn't help. It all points to getting the store to give you the info or versions that you need, unless all you need is the 5.3.3 upgrade and can find a high speed connection to download it (make sure it is the LE version).
Old 12-27-2002, 12:19 AM

Default Re: 5.3.3 zip file is corrupt.

Thanks for your help I'll get over to the right board, hopefully. By the way I do have a high speed connection and downloaded the LE version twice. I have two computers and on both the file shows up as corrupt when unzipped, also by two different archiving utilities.

I followed the instructions to the letter and even installed Service Pac 1 to be in compliance. Still plug and play doesn't recognized the hardware. It seems that XP support only just materialized for the MBox three weeks ago. I'm sorry, I don't have time to go through the growing pains. I stayed away from PC recording up until now but I figured I could walk into a pro shop like West LA music in damn near 2003 and get rolling with Pro Tools no problem. Live and learn.